Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
i had this happen in march. i treated killed weeds and put pre. due to the yard not being treated for years she had weeds pop up and called and cancelled. i explained to her it will take a few treatments. she was ignorant and cancelled. i rode past her yard yesterday and she has tru green and it looks TERRIBLE! some people just wont give you a chance. move on and forget it. people are ignorant
There's also a lot of impatient people who expect results over night. That's one thing I really try to stress to my customer's is that all of the applications work together and a weed ridden lawn can't be solved in one application.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
so yeah, i know customers will come and go.. but particularly bummed out today about a customer who had one treatment, and waitied 4 weeks and cancelled due to weed control results after one treatment. the lawn was clean when i started, mabee a few weeds here and there. I used three-way this time, 1 oz per 1,000 Sq. Ft. I normally get pretty good results with three-way, not as good as speedzone though.. The weather was a little cooler when i sprayed last month, i know this had alot to do with results. However, the lawn was cut shorter then, he could have had some poa that i didn't see, (didn't notice any) i dunno, it just really sucks when somebody can't even give me a chance like that. I do free service calls, I would have come back out if he would have called. We are seeing weed breakthrough all over with the spring rains, that poke salad, aka pigweed is comming up all over... such a pain in the butt. Haven't had many complaints this year so far except the one guy.. I have a few lawns that did not respond as well as i would have liked to the fall pre-emergent but overall nothing major.

On most of my new starts i've used speedzone, and have had plenty callbacks on how amazed they were at how fast the results were.. but three-way, i get my first cancel. lol. I think this is one of those customers that expects everything to happen in one visit, and expects 100% control at all time. I have had decent results with three-way though, really don't know what this guys prob is, he doesn't want me to take a look. I kinda feel bad, almost want to send him his money back.. almost. I always try to do everything possible to make things right for all my customers no matter how difficult they may be. hah, so i guess i'm just venting here.. I am letting it ruin my whole weekend.
A lawn that has to be broadcasted for broadleaves at any time of the year will have Gallery or Dismiss added to the tank. Either of those products make good preemergents against broadleaf weeds. I do not know whether you did this application over warm season or cool season grasses so I left out simazine or Image as additional preemergents effective against broadleaves.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I applied Resolute 4fl + Three Way out of my skid sprayer, and then spread 24-2-11. I have a feeling that he may have had some poa that i didn't see, since the lawn looked like it had been mowed recently, and he was probably expecting that to go bye bye. I've always waited for it to die out rather than put more chemicals on the lawn to kill something that isn't gonna be there in a month or so anyways. Honestly, i didn't see much gong on in the lawn weed wise, so there had to be some kinda misunderstanding, perhaps pigweed/fireweed breakthrough with the fert and all the rain.. the customer is unwilling to walk the property with me, so i really have no clue what the issue really is.

I'm willing to work with any customer to get the results they want to see, but mabee he will have better luck with the next company. perhaps they will be in the right place at the right time and they might get to do 3 apps before he cancels this time. His excuse for calling and going with me was the other company before applied in the wind, and he said that none of the products hit his lawn... and he had a dispute about paying the bill with them because the tech insisted it wasn't windy. I should have known this was gonna be a hassle. He paid me without a problem, so gonna move right along .

I attached pics of this property, these were taken right after the app. I was gonna post the pics to ask how a ride on would work on a hilly lawn like this? lol. i felt like at first this was an easy property to pick up.. I'm used to starting lawns that have been neglected, i believe his last service was doing a fine job. Theres not a whole lot good i'd say about the mowing however, but i think he's mowing it with a lawn tractor.. went by the other day and it was hacked all to hell again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
A lawn that has to be broadcasted for broadleaves at any time of the year will have Gallery or Dismiss added to the tank. Either of those products make good preemergents against broadleaf weeds. I do not know whether you did this application over warm season or cool season grasses so I left out simazine or Image as additional preemergents effective against broadleaves.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this is top of hill. most of the lawn was fairly clean, but scalped a bit on the mowing.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Prodiamine is not a good broadleaf preemergent. How big is this lawn such that the HO is cutting it with a garden tractor? What an ugly cut. I have mentioned in other posts that a lawn too big to be mowed with a walk behind reel is preferably mowed with a 3 reel gang mower towed behind a garden tractor. That

Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Prodiamine is not a good broadleaf preemergent. How big is this lawn such that the HO is cutting it with a garden tractor? What an ugly cut. I have mentioned in other posts that a lawn too big to be mowed with a walk behind reel is preferably mowed with a 3 reel gang mower towed behind a garden tractor. That
Homeowners mowing with a lawn/garden tractor is pretty common practice around here unfortunately
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You need to include Simazine in your early spring mix. Overall, Prodiamine sucks as a pre for many broadleaves. The Simazine will give the 3 way a boost for post and also help pre emerge(for a short while) some of the weeds Prodiamine doesn't do so great on.

I used to let customers like that bother me when I was smaller and by myself. We have enough now that the one or two a year that do something like that I just let go. My customer retention rate from year to year is 98%.

F'em, feed'em fish heads. That's what I mumble to myself these days and then I just go on...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
Homeowners mowing with a lawn/garden tractor is pretty common practice around here unfortunately
My one customer with a 1/2 acre of bermuda got a 3 reel gang. He was pizzed because the gang reel costed less than the POS garden tractor towing it.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
You need to include Simazine in your early spring mix. Overall, Prodiamine sucks as a pre for many broadleaves. The Simazine will give the 3 way a boost for post and also help pre emerge(for a short while) some of the weeds Prodiamine doesn't do so great on.

I used to let customers like that bother me when I was smaller and by myself. We have enough now that the one or two a year that do something like that I just let go. My customer retention rate from year to year is 98%.

F'em, feed'em fish heads. That's what I mumble to myself these days and then I just go on...
Simazine + 2,4-D is what I call the corn farmer's mix. I say that with a lot of respect. Before simazine fell under special restrictions in Hawaii, that would be one of the products I would use on the dirty lawns with Heaven knows germinating and seeding in it. Big difference in control VS trying to control things with Three Way, spot sprayed at that. If the weeds were bad, 2 lb per acre of 90DF helped a lot. Now, I use a lot of metsulfuron for the residual effect on germinating weeds.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
My one customer with a 1/2 acre of bermuda got a 3 reel gang. He was pizzed because the gang reel costed less than the POS garden tractor towing it.
nice! One day when I have a larger property, that's what I'd like to do. That or buy a used Triplex toro or JD fairway mower.