Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

best .095 Trim string on the market.

I use a Stihl FS55 (since '98), and string trim 1450 feet almost every time I mow the yard.

I'm using a yellow string I picked up (a large pack) at Lowes some long time ago. I find the yellow string does not last very long. Before that yellow string, I recall using an orange string that did very well.

I used the last of that yellow string yesterday. I found that I was bumping the head for more string about every twenty feet. A bit much, I find.

SO.... I'm reaching out to those who know.

What is the most reliable, strongest .095 string out there...???
Does that multi-edge string really work....???
Old 05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the Oregon string that has the filler in the center also it doesn't hurt vinyl siding etc. 3lb roll was 29 bucks at my dealer.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4x0r View Post
I use the Oregon string that has the filler in the center also it doesn't hurt vinyl siding etc. 3lb roll was 29 bucks at my dealer.
Ditto. Use the Oregon Gatorline Magnum in either round or twisted. Runs about $29 for the 3lb roll. I like it as good as anything I've used.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the OP its hard to find a good line that will last. Personally I'm waiting to run out of the Echo Crossfire (not that great of line) to try the Oregon Gatorline. I'll probably try the magnum or platinum. Everyone has good things to say about it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

gatorline platinum is the stoutest in the market, but its shredding alot of guards out there...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recently started running Gator Platinum Super Twist. The .105" is the same excact diameter that all my other .095" line has been. It is harder to spool because the twist makes it want to wind around and tie itself up, but I will be happy to overlook this. It cuts like sharps scizzors! I am running it on my Husky 223L and it is the best cutting stuff I have ever used and as tough as anything as well, including Gator Magnum round or square with the Aramid chord running through the center of it. This stuff is lasting about like GM or Crossfire while edging and cutting along chainlink too. I am really impressed though, by how nicely it cuts.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I recently had to purchase some unplanned .095 trimmer line and ended up with Stihl Round line. I liked it better than Grassgator brand from the hardware store...however, I really did like Grassgator's twisted line.

Hey RG, curious if you've tried line trimming with your new Stihl FS-250r yet?
I found that I HAD to go with a round line in my 35cc Honda...over my fave twisted line that would weld to itself WAY too often. No problems since switching. Too much engine/torque was my reasoning.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, I really haven't yet. It is rediculously dry here right now, especially for spring. The only thing saving us is that we were only up to around 80 for a few days. The grass isn't growing much this week and we are even getting the blue/grey color to the grass from the lack of rain. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

My FS90 doesn't/didn't like Gator Magnum square either. It feeds/fed round easily, but square, not so much. I figure this 250 will be about the same since it has the exact same head (25-2 auto cut). The good thing is that this Super twist seems to feed very smoothly and the hard outer shell it has is supposed to help reduce or eliminate welding. You gotta at least give it a shot if you can.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll give Gator Platinum Super Twist .105" a shot.
Is this a dealer/online or big-box store item? Can hit HD tomorrow while running errands.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen it at a lawn machine dealerships now, but I bought it at a small ( and I mean small) Hustler and Scag dealer about 50 miles from my home. We were out driving around one Saturday, and past this place. It had always been closed before when we drove by, but that day it was open still. We stopped and went in and talked to the guys for quite a while and checked out some new scags. Then I spotted this stuff hanging under the front counter and asked him to hand it to me. It's a 1lb spool, and factory labeled at .105", but darn if it isn't the exact same size as all the other .095" he had and that I have at home here. I just can't get over how it cuts the grass like a sharp knife. I really want to get to try it on some thicker long stuff soon. Especially in the 250.