Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

ControlScape Astronomical Timers

Was wondering if anyone has had issues with these timers before.

Recently we removed photocells on one of our accounts and installed these timers (9 of them on the property). Shortly after we received a call saying some of the lights weren't coming on. Upon inspection we realized that the timers appeared to be "off" ( no display on the screen ). Some of them we were able to push the "on" button and would they would power on the transformer, some of them would completely not work.

After unplugging and plugging back in they would reboot and appear to work fine. Either way we decided to replace all that were malfunctioning. As of this point in time we have replaced 8 of the 9.... And I just got called back to replace one I have already replaced a few months ago, all with the same problem.

Now I have used these timers before, probably about a dozen times in the last 2 years, and have never had this issue. All transformers are Cast or Unique and none have ever tripped or blew a fuse. Oh also we had these transformers on mechanical timers for a short time while we were waiting on the order for the astros, no problems.

Anyone have any ideas on what the cause is? Or can possibly point me to another astronomical timer that is similar (plug in inside the transformer). If we keep having the issue may just have to go back to good ol' mechanical.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the controlscape astros for one season and wound up having to replace all of them. Junk! I went to the Intermatic astro and have had much better luck. It's the DT620 I believe.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Does that timer fit inside transformers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirjc1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Does that timer fit inside transformers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Good question, Yes and No

I use VOLT's transformers and they fit great. Pretty much any standard MDL transformers have about the same internal layout. however, if you use any of Uniques transformers, the inside dimensions of the cabinet space require you change the orientation of the female receptacle, (usually popping it out and flipping it upside down) in order to accomodate the timer.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha ok thanks that's no problem have done it numerous times on uniques. I'll be using them for now on then thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device