Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

T3000 Spray Wand Solution?

Does any T3000 user have a good solution to the spray wand set up? I stopped using the spray wand to trim because the mix at 1/4 gal per k is way too strong to use out of the wand. I have tried lowering the pressure as low as possible which helps, but you still have to apply as a mist in order to avoid burning turf. A mist to trim around flower beds is a huge problem for me.

Is there a certain type of nozzle you guys are using on the T3000 wand that solves this issue? What pressure are you using the wand at?

For now, I am using a backpack with a weaker mix for trimming. It is a PITA to go get a backpack when you have a wand on the machine, but I ride the T3000 with the back pack on which does mitigate the extra work a bit.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visions View Post
Does any T3000 user have a good solution to the spray wand set up? I stopped using the spray wand to trim because the mix at 1/4 gal per k is way too strong to use out of the wand. I have tried lowering the pressure as low as possible which helps, but you still have to apply as a mist in order to avoid burning turf. A mist to trim around flower beds is a huge problem for me.

Is there a certain type of nozzle you guys are using on the T3000 wand that solves this issue? What pressure are you using the wand at?

For now, I am using a backpack with a weaker mix for trimming. It is a PITA to go get a backpack when you have a wand on the machine, but I ride the T3000 with the back pack on which does mitigate the extra work a bit.
I know this doesn't help your problem, but this is precisely why I bought the 7gallon independent tank from LTRich for my ZSprays. It's calibrated independently and I can run the same mix at the proper rate as my main tanks when I'm blanket spraying. When I get into fertility season, I usually run a grassy weed mix in there for spot spraying my warm season turf. I'll keep one main tank mixed down to wand rates for three-way spot spraying broadleaf weeds.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I installed a Gunjet model 30A from spraying systems with a 2 ft extension. I can put any nozzle I want on it. I trim with mine all the time.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

FdLLawnMan- The 30 A is listed as a high pressure gun. Are you using the high pressure one? When you trim, what psi do you run at? What nozzle works best for you?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So your mix is about 4 ounces per gallon--my opinion--its not really too strong for spot spray with a hand wand. You can put a small plastic ball valve in the hose; close it half-way and it will reduce the excess pressure and flow rate. A pressure of 10 to 20 psi is about right.
Keep the wand moving so that you do not overdose one particular spot.
Use the wand from a hand sprayer if you like less flow per minute.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Riggle

Amount of product per gallon varies obviously. Three way at 1.5 oz/ k would be mixed at 6 oz/gallon in my set up. Eliminate at 1 oz/ k would be mixed at 4 oz per gallon. This assumes factory tips, speed etc.

Good idea to install some type of valve to restrict the pressure and rate. I can only lower my pressure to 25psi at the moment.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the spray wand all the time every yard @ 40 psi and the same mix I use as the front nozzle. I use a yellow AI tip with a 80 deg spray I don't have any problems. I trim spray at 5mph. I mix 4.4 0z of 3 way to a gal of water.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Charles

Do you use the original wand, or did you switch to another wand?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spray wand >> We switched to the tan colored cone nozzle. It puts out less volume. Less potential for burn during hot weather.

Trim nozzle >> We switched from the red nozzle to the yellow nozzle. The yellow nozzle puts out less volume and matches the spray of the "full spray (light blue) nozzle".

What we did is to spray on dry concrete. This made it clear & easy for us to make the adjustments.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Assuming your putting down the label rate of whatever your spraying wouldnt less volume (carrier) be more likely to burn? Regardless of tip and volume the ai per area should be constant so more volume would be less burn potential not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Spray wand >> We switched to the tan colored cone nozzle. It puts out less volume. Less potential for burn during hot weather.

Trim nozzle >> We switched from the red nozzle to the yellow nozzle. The yellow nozzle puts out less volume and matches the spray of the "full spray (light blue) nozzle".

What we did is to spray on dry concrete. This made it clear & easy for us to make the adjustments.