Register free!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just ordered 3 yards of river sand from Mulch Man in Hickory Flat. They'll be delivering it on Saturday morning. $183 delivered, not too bad. My neighbor is going to come help me out. Friday night, I'll drop the Tru-cut down one notch to 1/2" and throw down some 46-0-0 urea then water it in. I'll post some pics afterwards.

I'm going to the beach at the OBX for a week July 5-13th so I'll put the sprinklers on electronic timers and have my neighbor keep an eye on them while I'm gone. Hopefully when I return, it will have filled in pretty good.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still assessing what if anything I can do with my 2 acres of bermuda. I'm curious if you guys think that maybe 70% or so of the sand work could be done using a small front end loader on a sub compact tractor & back dragging?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
I'm still assessing what if anything I can do with my 2 acres of bermuda. I'm curious if you guys think that maybe 70% or so of the sand work could be done using a small front end loader on a sub compact tractor & back dragging?
Dude rent a topdresser...2 acres is a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Dude rent a topdresser...2 acres is a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
I concur
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too get it really smooth which is the object, you need a top dresser or do it by hand. Box blade, back drag, fence drag, none are going to give you that super smooth surface. My last house had at least a quarter acre that I hand raised hybrid Bermuda like it was a baby. I took the time by hand with the pushbroom and I could reel cut at a half inch. I would devote a weekend and give it my best personal effort.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Too get it really smooth which is the object, you need a top dresser or do it by hand. Box blade, back drag, fence drag, none are going to give you that super smooth surface. My last house had at least a quarter acre that I hand raised hybrid Bermuda like it was a baby. I took the time by hand with the pushbroom and I could reel cut at a half inch. I would devote a weekend and give it my best personal effort.
Posted via Mobile Device
A top dresser doesn't require using a broom to smooth out?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
A top dresser doesn't require using a broom to smooth out?
Maybe just a light touch to perfect it. The topdresser will just allow you to quickly and evenly move the majority around. Larger low spots may need a bit more from a wheelbarrow. This is very labor intensive, OCD exercise. Few customers will pay for it, but it makes for some great work pics to show customers or jazz up your website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Maybe just a light touch to perfect it. The topdresser will just allow you to quickly and evenly move the majority around. Larger low spots may need a bit more from a wheelbarrow. This is very labor intensive, OCD exercise. Few customers will pay for it, but it makes for some great work pics to show customers or jazz up your website.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wish I had a top dresser when I did mine. Probably would have had 10x better results. My lawn is as bumpy as it was before and I am missing 1/4 of my grass
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
I wish I had a top dresser when I did mine. Probably would have had 10x better results. My lawn is as bumpy as it was before and I am missing 1/4 of my grass
Posted via Mobile Device
Joe if I remember yours correctly you had significant amount of die off and some wide gaps to fill. Did you repeat again this year to give it another go. Fill, fert , water repeat. It will get there. I live in an area that requires a light touch up yearly to keep ot perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably need to verticut. Just scalping and burying with sand is not going to get it done correctly. There is no need to ever bury with sand, you only will kill the turf. If you want the job done correctly, it needs to be done correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device