Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The sand got delivered this morning about 8:15. We got started about 8:45 and finished spreading sand by about 1:00. I finally got finished about 3:00 cleaning up. (Pressure washed the driveway). The sand I got was excellent, it had been screened very well for river sand. I can count on one hand, the number of pebbles I found in all 3 yards of it, even tiny pebbles. My neighbor used to be a superintendent at a local golf course and he said it was the best sand he'd ever seen in terms of the absence of pebbles.

I definitely got a lot of strange looks from people driving by and I lot of "what on earth are you doing?"
Here's the pics.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our sand looked wAy different, but I knew my sand was masonry to begin with. People down here have no clue what river sand is so I don't have access to it. Our end results looked the same though. I hope your future result are better than mine. I am starting to get a green stain on the top of the sand that has not gotten any grass growth yet. I will post some photos tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to rag on the job you did...but is there a reason a lot of the Bermuda looks smothered with sand?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No worries, Some of the pictures do look that way, and some are slightly "smothered". A few of them are prior to watering in. I also ran back over it later with the landscape rake and scraped it even more. We got a rainstorm later in the afternoon that washed it in even further. The deepest portions are only 1/2 to 3/4" deep. I'm confident it will recover in a few weeks.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Our sand looked wAy different, but I knew my sand was masonry to begin with. People down here have no clue what river sand is so I don't have access to it. Our end results looked the same though. I hope your future result are better than mine. I am starting to get a green stain on the top of the sand that has not gotten any grass growth yet. I will post some photos tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man. That green stain is probably just algae forming in the sand from all the moisture.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good Macguyver. Looked pretty level to begin with.

@FloridaGardener- we have a company round here called levellawn and this is pretty much exactly how they do it to where you can barely see grass in the yard. It looks like it would smother the grass, but it works well.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this year was/is my first year with a reel mower. I keep hearing all the talk about the sand treatments, and have a question that may have been answered.

I thought there IS a difference between river sand and Masonry sand. One of them is rounded and compact (river sand) and the other has coarse edges (masonary sand) that is supposed to be better suited for the lawn because it wll hold the moisture better.

Am I correct, can some please post more info on which sand is best, or is it not that important? I think I can get some masonry sand, but they don't know what river sand is. Keep in mind we are in west Texas...LOL
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 06-30-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
this year was/is my first year with a reel mower. I keep hearing all the talk about the sand treatments, and have a question that may have been answered.

I thought there IS a difference between river sand and Masonry sand. One of them is rounded and compact (river sand) and the other has coarse edges (masonary sand) that is supposed to be better suited for the lawn because it wll hold the moisture better.

Am I correct, can some please post more info on which sand is best, or is it not that important? I think I can get some masonry sand, but they don't know what river sand is. Keep in mind we are in west Texas...LOL
I live 120 miles from these guys with all this River Sand. I got to my dirt yards here and ask for it and they tell me all the sand came from the river. I kind of just threw my hands after hearing that for the 3rd time and went with masonry. They had something here called #1 brown sand but it had a lot of bb sized pebbles in it. It's probably what I should of used, it looks more similar to Macs sand. Mistakes I made, did not scalp low enough, did not apply correct fert, had to much sand in some areas. I think I am going to rent a top dressing machine next I do this
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Mac-who supplied the sand? Great job!
GJ-I've never seen a top dresser for rent. Have you found one?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Supposedly a place in Duluth rents them. It's on abbots bridge rd behind St. Ives country club.
Posted via Mobile Device