Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm still not seeing good Bermuda growth for this year. And now fungus problems are slowly starting. I wish it will warm up soon. And the rain is great but it also needs to dry-out for a little while.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
For your lawn, it might be worth it to consider a golf course style liquid program. Low rates of soluble fertilizers and Primo applied every 30 days. I do break out the Primo on any lawn that grows too much between mowings. BTW, the convention in Hawaii is for lawns to be mowed every 2 weeks. Some lawns, due to generous watering, better than normal soil and/or full sun all day cannot stay within those boundaries. 0.25 oz Primo added to the liquid fertilizer fixes that. A lawn hit with 1+ lb of N from slow release will always overgrow. Hence my preference for low rates of nitrate and ammonium nitrogen applied at 30 day intervals. I remember one zoysia lawn a "landsaper" threw 24-2-10 on. That lawn grew 6" per week every week for the next 2 months. What you apply as fertilizer and how much has a large part in determining whether the lawn will need daily or every other day mowing. The last time I ever sprayed 0.5 lb of N from urea, that lawn overgrew between mowings. Other people have done the same thing applying 1 lb of N from 21-0-0.
Golf course style liquid program? I'm not sure what that means. Just about every golf course superintendent you talk to will have a different program. Liquid fertilizers are used on putting greens, but that's only part of the program -- most supts will use granular ferts at some point in the season and liquid at other times. Liquid apps are usually done at 0.1#N/M at 7 day intervals -- and only on greens. Tees may get some liquid, but are usually granular and fairways are usually granular apps as well.

You can get the same results from liquid or dry applications -- they both deliver nutrients to your plants. When you would use one over another all depends on what fits best for your operation and for your customer.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrx View Post
I'm still not seeing good Bermuda growth for this year. And now fungus problems are slowly starting. I wish it will warm up soon. And the rain is great but it also needs to dry-out for a little while.
I agree it's still pretty thin in spots.

We're getting there.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's discuss simazine since it seems to be popular around here for winter time dormant applications for its pre and post capabilities. Since simazine has a lot of restrictions what roadblocks are you running into? For properties that fall into those restrictions, what are you applying instead? When are you applying it? Do you tank mix anything with it?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrx View Post
What fungus are you seeing?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when i worked for orkin lawn care in the 95 we did 12 apps per year, the price for any lawn was 30 bucks though. Alot of those lawns looked good, problem was none of us knew what we were doing, because we were all new except a few members of management. The head tech that trained me had been there 3 weeks and used to sell furniture. (this explains alot i'm sure..lol) Anyway.. Even trugreen wouldn't touch monthly accounts when they bought us out. I was not at orkin long enough to see how effective the service was for a year. I wonder sometimes if it'd be worth trying to have an option for a level of service for monthly lawn care. Orkin had monthly and cycle programs where the treatments were 6 to 8 weeks apart. It was not hard to sell people on a monthly program back then. I don't even know what the 12 month lawn care program consisted of because i think i was there 3 or 4 months before trugreen came in. but i do know we had alot and it was a hassle to get them all done without skipping any.. the last day of the month we couldn't go home until the monthly accounts were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
I agree with you. Fortunately, since I mow 90% of my turf care customers, I'm on the lawn once a week and can spot potential problems. Part of the whole 60 day model is just customer perception of how things have always been done around here.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do provide a leaflet with each round with all that info. some of my customers are to busy to mow regularly. theres always gonna be those people though.

If i only accepted weekly mowing accounts i would have 0 customers. I'm hoping some switch to weekly once things get growing good. bi-weekly is fine for right now.. but it won't be long.

hell of a storm here now in dallas, ga. and its gonna be hot next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post

Do you provide any written brochures/pamphlets for your customers that don't have you mow? I put together a "Bermuda fact sheet" for my customers that covers the basics of mowing, irrigation, Bermuda facts, and links to web resources (uga's site and Walter reeves' site). Whether or not they actually read it, lol who knows but at least they have something in writing.

I also do the mowing on 90% of my customers so I can keep that piece done properly. I won't accept a customer who wants bi-weekly mowing.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the problem. Bermuda is all about COLOR. Hybrid Bermuda aka 419,Tifway requires 4-6 lbs of N through the growing season to maintain color. For those of you who don't deal with this grass, color is the key. You can have a perfectly maintained landscape but if the bermuda is off color you will have an unhappy customer. Iron treatments are not in the budget, nothing is. It's nearly impossible to maintain the average yard at the best height for this grass (1.5" or less). Most 419 yards in this area are maintained around 2.5"-3". Educating the customer is not a universal answer. If you can't make their yard look great mowing once a week, they will find someone who will. Thats life in the south.

90% of the maintenance in the south is volume mowing of 419. If your in the 10% of high end maintenance good for you, the rest of us have to get the job done as fast and efficiently as possible without scalping or browing. Therefore the mowing heights go up.

Budgets are everything. We recently bid a 73,000 sq ft bermuda subdivision entrance. Full maintenance plus chemicals. Low bidder got the job @ $350/month. That's what we deal with.

A 24-0-8 50% 2FE @ $17/bag is a basic bermuda fert that is affordable for the volumes we do. Applied every 4-6 weeks starting in May.

Soil Testing is a great idea. Who's going to pay for it?? Yes, it's relatively cheap, but you are still eating $100's. Would it cut down on the amount of fert we use, maybe. But remember, it's COLOR that matters with 419.

Bermuda used to be a very easy grass to make look great. With the downward spiral in pricing, increased labor,fuel,etc, except in a few cases, we really don't have the time or budget to make it look it's best anymore.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
Here's the problem. Bermuda is all about COLOR. Hybrid Bermuda aka 419,Tifway requires 4-6 lbs of N through the growing season to maintain color. For those of you who don't deal with this grass, color is the key. You can have a perfectly maintained landscape but if the bermuda is off color you will have an unhappy customer. Iron treatments are not in the budget, nothing is. It's nearly impossible to maintain the average yard at the best height for this grass (1.5" or less). Most 419 yards in this area are maintained around 2.5"-3". Educating the customer is not a universal answer. If you can't make their yard look great mowing once a week, they will find someone who will. Thats life in the south.

90% of the maintenance in the south is volume mowing of 419. If your in the 10% of high end maintenance good for you, the rest of us have to get the job done as fast and efficiently as possible without scalping or browing. Therefore the mowing heights go up.

Budgets are everything. We recently bid a 73,000 sq ft bermuda subdivision entrance. Full maintenance plus chemicals. Low bidder got the job @ $350/month. That's what we deal with.

A 24-0-8 50% 2FE @ $17/bag is a basic bermuda fert that is affordable for the volumes we do. Applied every 4-6 weeks starting in May.

Soil Testing is a great idea. Who's going to pay for it?? Yes, it's relatively cheap, but you are still eating $100's. Would it cut down on the amount of fert we use, maybe. But remember, it's COLOR that matters with 419.

Bermuda used to be a very easy grass to make look great. With the downward spiral in pricing, increased labor,fuel,etc, except in a few cases, we really don't have the time or budget to make it look it's best anymore.
Pretty much sums it up. In addition, since we are in the transition zone, Bermuda is the lesser of two evils compared to fescue. It's all about compromise.

Anyone have any luck with tifgrand? I just put down about 1,000 sq ft of it in my buddy's backyard. It's suppose to transition out of dormancy a little better and maintain density in shadier conditions.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Amen Brother.