Originally Posted by avguy View Post
How did the drag mat work for you?
Great !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few more photos...

Notice the tire marks, that was our Epic FaiL

We thought the ground was hard enough not to sink in with the truck and 3 yards of sand on the trailer... we were wrong so i get to repair that over time...

Live and Learn
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The heavy rains we got Saturday and Sunday have helped and hindered this process at the same time... Its washing the sand away in my drainage areas. I guess I will just be doing some touch ups from time to time. At this point the only sand I ever want to see again better have an ocean in front of it.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A question for those who've actually gone through the top dressing process with riversand:

Back in '09 I renovated almost 2 acres in common Bermuda. Minus a small set back the last 2 years with some Nimblewill, my lawn looks fantastic but it's still not as smooth as I'd like it to be. My dilemma is how do you top dress that much area with out going broke with material and labor costs?

I have a SCUT tractor with a FEL. I'm wondering if it's at all feasible to dump small piles of the riversand around the yard and then back drag it with the loader. I would then use a drag mat like the one Gulfjoe used to smooth every thing over. Any thoughts?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just tear it up with a harley rake then use a drag. Reseed it 1/2 rate because some of the bermuda wiill survive, then roll it.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
A question for those who've actually gone through the top dressing process with riversand:

Back in '09 I renovated almost 2 acres in common Bermuda. Minus a small set back the last 2 years with some Nimblewill, my lawn looks fantastic but it's still not as smooth as I'd like it to be. My dilemma is how do you top dress that much area with out going broke with material and labor costs?

I have a SCUT tractor with a FEL. I'm wondering if it's at all feasible to dump small piles of the riversand around the yard and then back drag it with the loader. I would then use a drag mat like the one Gulfjoe used to smooth every thing over. Any thoughts?
That should work! You typically need to scalp down to about 1/2" then sand and drag. Problem is you need about 1 yard of sand per thousand sq ft so two acres is going to be ALOT of sand.

If you can get the sand cheap enough delivered though your method should work,
I had access to a dump truck and bought 18 tons of sand(approx 14 yards) for $198.00 but I got it from the local sand supplier and not the local nursery for $40 a yard.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Might try to strike a deal with local golf course to rent thier topdresser thus saving on labor. Get sand from a dirt supplier. Buy or maybe rent drag mat from same golf course.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm going to give it a go taking advantage of the equipment I already have which is a 3PH aerator, 3PH landscape rake w/gauge wheels and FEL. I've found a local source for river sand. I'll probably order enough to try and tackle about 1/3 an acre at a time. If done right I'm hoping to keep the manual labor to a minimum.
I have another 30 days before my schedule will allow me to work on it. I'll try to post some pics as I go.
Thanks...Scott