Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. If the grass cannot be maintained on a 7 day mowing, Primo is an option. I do not think your lawn is that bumpy. In Hawaii, that would be considered flat.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Looks good. If the grass cannot be maintained on a 7 day mowing, Primo is an option. I do not think your lawn is that bumpy. In Hawaii, that would be considered flat.
Can primo be purchased in smaller quantities? I've thought about using it. I'm mowing twice a week now but probably 3 times a week now that it's hot. I mowed monday evening, gonna mow today, then on friday before i go out of town for the holiday weekend. I'll hit it again when I get back monday evening. Fortunately, it's small so I can knock it out in no time even double cutting.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Syngenta stopped putting out Primo in Quarts. I know that at least one post patent manufacturer puts out Trinexepac the AI of Primo in 8 oz and 32 oz bottles.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good. I know mine finally started to take a turn for the better the past week. I just snapped this pic. I had scalped it way to early this year and all the cooler weather slowed the recovery, so i've had a bad looking lawn for a while. I take care of treatments on my neighbors lawn as well, he keeps it mowed really high, so its been really green for a while. the wife has been on my butt about how i'm a lawn service and our lawn has been looking like crap, the worst out of all the lawns in our culdesac, and i treat all of those lawns too.

I guess i may look into doing the river sand thing as well. I got about 3,000 sq. ft. any advice on how to do it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
You'll get there eventually.

Mine is still bumpy. The roller makes a difference on the bumpiness. I'm going to river sand it in a few weeks. I've slowly filled low spots over the years but it still needs a total top dress.

Here's a pic from last weekend during the rain. Almost all of those spots with sand are almost completely filled in after that rain and this week's 85+ temps. It's amazing how much it has filled in in a week. Now that the temps are up, the bermuda is starting to hit its stride. It has been really sluggish with the cooler temps.

Edit: based on what I've read, you'll need about 1.5 yards of sand per 1k sq ft. Mulch man on 140 in hickory flat quoted me $69 per yard plus $60 delivery fee. My lawn is 2k sq ft total of turf so I'm gonna go with 3 yards. My neighbor and I are going to do it together, he's gonna order some too and we'll split them up on a weekend and each help out one another.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

This what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Pac-Turf-G...item35c091fbf3

Here's after the leveling was done at about 6 weeks. It wouldn't let me load the pics of the sand app. My front yard is roughly 2500 sq. ft. and they charged $800.

It still looks pretty rough right now because of the cool temps and spots left from round up app.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

So here's the day they applied the sand.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i had an estimate i went to yesterday out in west cobb, i pulled up and the lawn was reel mowed. looked great. I just kept on driving.
Quote:
I am frustrated with the bi-weekly mowing accounts and amount of calls i get for lawns that are 6 foot tall. I am at a point now where i turn down alot of new customers, most want one time cuts on way overgrown lawns.
Why did you keep on going? That sounds like it would have been the perfect opportunity to ease into reel mowing! If you are so frustrated by crap jobs, don't continue to take them when you've got doors opening for you like this. Be confident in your abilities; we all started somewhere, and it sounds like someone else did the hard work of leveling and getting it to where it needs to be.

Remember- most clients call you because they aren't satisfied with what they are currently getting. Even though the lawn may have looked great, something was not up to the standard of the homeowner.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post

Here's after the leveling was done at about 6 weeks. It wouldn't let me load the pics of the sand app. My front yard is roughly 2500 sq. ft. and they charged $800.

It still looks pretty rough right now because of the cool temps and spots left from round up app.

That just looks awesome!!!!

I am trying to get my financing in order so i can do this. I am going to start with a 1200 sqft part of my front lawn and see how that comes out. I have a little more than 10000 sqft of grass so it may take a while to get it all done. i also have to put the McClane in the shop to get it in tip top running condition.

How long after the leveling did you mow for the first time?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Gulfjoe-

This was roughly 8-10 days post sanding when I started cutting again using my Honda. I didn't want to reel it with sand exposed.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post

Awesome, thanks for the link!

The yard looks great!