Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Rough ride

Demoed a kubota ZD 326 this weekend on my 6 acre homestead. Have been using a kubota tractor for over 25 years. My yard is a good test track with less than smooth terrain, hills and trees. I was surprised how rough it rode compared to the tractor, like riding a brick. Are there better seats that help isolate this pounding. How does the Ferris suspension change the ride feel compared to all the other solid frames?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
Demoed a kubota ZD 326 this weekend on my 6 acre homestead. Have been using a kubota tractor for over 25 years. My yard is a good test track with less than smooth terrain, hills and trees. I was surprised how rough it rode compared to the tractor, like riding a brick. Are there better seats that help isolate this pounding. How does the Ferris suspension change the ride feel compared to all the other solid frames?
You wouldn't get a better ride with anything other than a ferris, independent 4 wheel suspension speaks for itself. Scag cheetah has an isolated operator platform, its mounted on a coil/shock I believe, so this would pops only be next, then gravely offers an air suspension seat plus rubber isolators. There ate some options out there for you, cheers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post

I really appreciate your post. Like you, I cut my outer yard with a tractor (Kubota L2900 (Kubota L2900 ('95) and a Land Pride groomer).

I'm deep into research for a ZTR, but the wife has back issues (she loves to cut grass), so we need something with serious suspension.

I was at my Kubota dealer Friday morning and he almost had me on a ZG327 with that suspension seat.he assured me the ZG was comparable to the Ferris, but I was somewhat skeptical. I'm seriously looking at the Ferris IS2000Z with the premium seat and that mid suspension system that slips in between the seat and the frame. I think that would cover all my bases.

Your post has convinced me to go Ferris..... thanks

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try letting some air out of the tires
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a new appreciation for the hard work of you pro guys riding these thing days a week. If your mowing golf club quality lawns its ok but not anything else, what a pounding. There's a reason seat upgrades are a hot topic.
Going to tests a Ferris 2000 this week, we'll see.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonlawncare View Post
Try letting some air out of the tires
Posted via Mobile Device
true, true... I don't know why, but dealers are notorious for maxing out the PSI and then some. I know on a couple of our TT when we first got them they would bounce around horribly. Just did a check of the air and they had 28 PSI when they should have had about 14...
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

True story I got new tires on my truck once and they put almost 80 psi in the tires my truck was bouncing around like crazy!!
I dropped the psi in my snappers tires by about 10 psi and the ride was much better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
true, true... I don't know why, but dealers are notorious for maxing out the PSI and then some. I know on a couple of our TT when we first got them they would bounce around horribly. Just did a check of the air and they had 28 PSI when they should have had about 14...
The manu's overinflate the tires for shipping purposes and many dealers never even check to set them correctly before delivery. The tires on many ZTR's get pumped so high for shipment because they use band iron to strap the tires down in the shipping crates. Most of the time you can still see tell tale signs of the band iron on the tires after delivery.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Demo a Super Z with the flex forks and a nice suspension seat, I hve one and it rides great. I have a friend that has a Ferris and he went with the Z and says it rids better than his Ferris.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Landscaping View Post
Demo a Super Z with the flex forks and a nice suspension seat, I hve one and it rides great. I have a friend that has a Ferris and he went with the Z and says it rids better than his Ferris.
Sorry mate but this is ridiculous!

Really it is no different to saying a car with no suspension will ride better than a car with suspension. The principal is the same.

Ive riden both and theres no doubt that the ferris has a MUCH more comfortable ride...