Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-19-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Super Z ? XV4 n XR7 who own both/ PUPPY ?

I can get a awesome deal on a 60 inch Hyper Drive Super with 66 hours but there is one problem, it is only a 60 and I want a 72.

The price is like great so I am wondering for you people who own both if you think it is possible without to much work to put a XR7 deck on a newer style Hyper Drive Hustler Z. I know the new Z is longer.

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good question! The deck hangers would have to be the same width etc and (damit,) whats the bracing thing under the machine that holds the deck? Anyway, that would have to be the same width and length. Need to find a belt to suit as well. I'd assume the 72 XR7 would be similar length to a 60 VX4, or there abouts. Not sure about blade tip speed. May have to change pulley sizes but again, I'd assume if the engine/clutch has the same rpm, blades should turn the same. But Im only guessing there!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about putting the 72" VX4 on?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 72 XR7 and not a XV4, the XV4 for sure will be to long to fit. A XR7 is shorter.

This is a ? for the Pupster, I can get the mower for probably around 7 to 7500.

Mchippy what is your verdict on the mower besides the deck, is it a big improvement?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That might be a better combo for agility over the longer newer style 72, change the pulley under the motor to the bigger size and space the deck hangers out with a longer belt should be all that is needed if it will fit?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Mchippy what is your verdict on the mower besides the deck, is it a big improvement?
Its all about the Hyperdrive mate and the extra power from the 35/37Kawi.
If cutting small flat properties then older is probably better (lighter, more nimble) but where the new shines is on the larger prop's, slopes/hills and cutting long grass.
If cutting a mixture of all then the new is the go IMO purely for the drive, power and longevity of the machine. The hydros are what made the older SZ's a 12-1300hr machine. Im hoping the new system makes it a 3-4-5000hr machine. Of course other components will fail but thats par for course.
For me, its the hydro system that was the big fail point and they are extremely expensive to replace over here, like $3000 per side!
I sold my old machine at 900 odd hours because I didnt want to go through that pain again. At least the new system has the X000hr warranty and thats what sold it for me.

Something else to consider is on larger prop's, Im about 25-30% more efficient with the new machine. One particular job used to take me average 3.5hrs and now I can get it done in 2.5hrs, or there abouts anyway. The property is 90% hill so the engine and hydros make a huge difference. When the grass is very long like after a lot of rain its saved me maybe 2hrs again, the power and the decks ability to get clippings out. Not talking about finish, just getting it cut. Im sure youve seen pics on the other thread!

Find some long grass and demo the 60 vx4 besides the 72 xr7.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I can get a awesome deal on a 60 inch Hyper Drive Super with 66 hours but there is one problem, it is only a 60 and I want a 72.

The price is like great so I am wondering for you people who own both if you think it is possible without to much work to put a XR7 deck on a newer style Hyper Drive Hustler Z. I know the new Z is longer.

Thanks,
Your guess is as good as mine, not something I would waste time thinking about. I would need to flip a coin to decide the difference in cut quality between the XR-7 and VX4, with that being said, if the XR-7 had the same size discharge as the VX4 I would give it the advantage. The reason I say this is because of the blow-out from in front of the VX4 in dry cutting, especially where leaves are involved in fall cutting.

Mick, do you not see more blow-out in front of the deck coming back onto the foot-pan, and trashing your feet and legs? Maybe the big deck is worse for this problem, but this is the reason I'm asking.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
When the grass is very long like after a lot of rain its saved me maybe 2hrs again, the power and the decks ability to get clippings out. Not talking about finish, just getting it cut. Im sure youve seen pics on the other thread!
I defiantly agree with that.
Just today we had a guy call that needed a property with a vacant house that hadn't had the backyard cut all year. Grass/weeds was about a foot and a half tall, and man did that new mower eat right through it. Blew me away. Ours is a 60" with 31hp kawi. It was leaving the 2 lines down the middle but it let me go as fast as i could have wanted in an unfamiliar yard.
Heres a couple pics i took.
Echo & Stihl
Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Puppy, I havent really noticed any clipping type blow out. I do have moments where I find myself chasing a leaf though! Over winter I'll keep an eye open (except when I have to close them for dust!)

ajbkid, Have any "finished" pics?
With that prop, I would make a run then come back on the same path. Double cutting basically but the return run can be quicker. It should cut off anything that was missed. Looks like you cut it in transport or close to that. I would of done it at 4" or so. Like this... http://youtu.be/58UvB_qkUeI
Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't both to double cut it since it was good enough. We are supposed to continue mowing this one in the future so il get it lower next time.
I did it at 4.5, so yea pretty close to all the way up
Echo & Stihl