Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Extreme Trimmer Rack Caution

Since they have the sponsored area on lockdown I figured I'd post over here so everyone can see. Just a heads up on the extreme racks, after searching I found out it's more common that I expected. Here's my story I tried posting on their section.

Found out today that the extreme racks will hold trimmers no matter what happens. Hit an unavoidable pothole today, and the rack sheared off at the base (like many others have posted) and at the same time sheared the powerheads off two of the trimmers, which then sent the rack and trimmers into the middle of a busy road. All toll I have a broken rack, a one month old trimmer split in half, a one year old trimmer totally destroyed, and an older trimmer with a hedge trimmer replacement end busted up. The least damaged somehow was the old trimmer, it just broke the plastic all off the powerhead and ripped the hedge trimmer part off when it hit the ground. Worst part is I just got the hedge trimmer attachment this spring and this was the first day I ever put it on the rack.

But atleast the shafts never came out of the rack LMAO
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

And I'm not really bashing the company, the rack is the best design I've seen, its just the area where the weld was got brittle from welding and sheared off. If they fixed that area some and I got the engine supports I would probably run another one.

And before anyone asks, there was no wobble in the rack, I had beefed up the area it was bolted to on the trailer so they wouldn't wobble. I think the trimmers are mounted so rigid in the rack that that''s what stresses everything so much.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You must have hit 1 helluva pothole to break off the engines on 2 trimmers, or did that happen after they hit the ground?

We have the 4 position rack and have it welded to the side of the trailer and the side of the toprail. Their mounting procedures are flawed without a doubt. You can tell by looking at them that there is way too much stress placed on the mounting base when they are simply bolted or even welded to just a toprail.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a rack a few weeks ago myself but mine fits in the truck bed after I modified it because not all truck beds are the same. It works great but I don't think I'll ever use more than two due to the noise it makes going down the road. I'd probably be better off getting it off the truck, remove the bolts and welding it directly to the trailer especially after seeing your picture. Yikes
Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm pretty sure the engines snapped and the rack snapped at the same time. I started searching and the engines snapping is fairly common if you don't run the engine supports they sell.

It was a pretty nasty pothole, I couldn't do anything though because there was a car next to me and a car in the opposite turning lane, hit it at 35 and wammo. At first I was like omg the rack broke, looked in the mirror and saw a motor and I thought holy crap the blower flew out of the cage on the trailer too??? As I ran to pick it all up I was like OMG the motors broke off?!?!

Luckily a motorcycle behind me dodged it all, or my company and I'm sure the trimmer rack company would be in court. Heck they'd probably get my trailer manufacturer, and redmax in too.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the extreme 3 trimmer rack and the blower rack. Last year the rack broke the shaft on my stick edger. The rack also will not hold my back up husky trimmer. Too much of a hassle trying to put those aluminum blocks on all of my stuff. My old rack holds the husky trimmer even if it has the hedge trimmer attachment on it. I will keep the rack for now but if I sell the trailer the racks will go with it. I will keep the blower rack though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
Luckily a motorcycle behind me dodged it all, or my company and I'm sure the trimmer rack company would be in court. Heck they'd probably get my trailer manufacturer, and redmax in too.
You were lucky on that one bro. That could have gotten ugly real fast if the rider hit them and went down.

Green Touch really needs to take a look at the design of these racks as this has proven to be an ongoing issue with them. If your incident doesn't wake them up to this design/mounting flaw, I don't know what will. With that said, I think the racks work very well, they just have a weak point in the mounting base.

Scag mowers

-Og Mandino
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can see where the mounting on open trailers would be flawed but if my memory serves me correct i believe there was 2 different mounting options for open trailers one on the top rail and another where it was mounted lower towards the deck of the trailer and used the top rail for support... i just looked it up quick the advanced mounting specifically says that bolting to the top rail will void the warranty. here is the link http://www.trailerracks.com/trimmerrackinstructions.pdf I have mine mounted in my enclosed and i love it.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 3 position mounting instuctions say to mount on the top rail and if you have a 4 position trimmer it says not to use the top rail because it will void the warranty.

Scag mowers

-Og Mandino
Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Go figure my insurance company is jacking me around.

Green touch was actually very nice to work with. They told me they originally updated with the yellow rack but then made an update to that, the new ones support up to the first trimmer. All I asked was if there was warranty on mine and they instantly said they'd send this new version out. Then (with some sweet talk) they also said they'd give me motor supports free, which I appreciated.

Waiting for insurance, they've gone back and forth all day on "yes you're covered" "no you're not", when I signed up with them I listed everything I wanted covered, and then I checked it yesterday and they had just the mower and plow covered. It took all day for them to figure out the policy I hold has a 10K umbrella of equipment coverage and thats why they didn't list small equipment or my trailer. So I should be ok on getting everything else replaced.