Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

if youre saying 150 account meaning you mow 150 lawns then to me it sounds you arent charging enough. the price for all that doesnt sound bad though. only thing i would have to say with "buying" customers is dont be dissapointed if you lose them although you may be fine if you have been working for him for 3 years the customers may not know the difference
Old 05-20-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your in a better position than most when it comes to buying accounts. Usually I would say not too but you know the ends and outs better than any of us here. Doesn't sound like a too bad of a deal to walk into in your situation. Your choices are limited it sounds like. Find a new job, start from scratch, or buy him out.

I say go for it in your particular circumstances, your the first I had recommended buying accounts. lol
Good Luck, hope it goes smoothly for you if you should pursue this opportunity.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that sounds ok. i would offer like $20k for everything including equipment.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Exactly right, not too many options to choose from. I will take the fact that I am the first person you would recommend buying accounts as a good thing, makes me think you are cautious and reasonable, which is exactly what I need to be before shelling out a chunk of money. Thanks for your input.

Meant that top part for sprinkler buddy, but I think you are right on with offering $20k.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion it don't sound bad... But before you take advise from this website look at who is posting and how long they have been on here and how many post they have... Just because u post don't make you a professional!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolgripnova View Post
Exactly right, not too many options to choose from. I will take the fact that I am the first person you would recommend buying accounts as a good thing, makes me think you are cautious and reasonable, which is exactly what I need to be before shelling out a chunk of money. Thanks for your input.
It is a good thing, I'm pushing 20yrs as a lawn care business owner. I wouldn't consider buying accounts myself unless it was in a situation like yours, which doesn't come along very often.

I like the fact that your current employer has given you the opportunity and given you the heads up of his decision to sell. He sounds to be a man of his word, nowadays that is rare. Best of luck to you!

You can check my credentials as a lawn care professional "Leo Gauthier's Lawn Service" Williston, FL. I'm all over the web, mostly for my invention the Sprinkler Buddy but I am a veteran lawn care professional none the less.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I really dont think it matters if he gets advice from the newest member of the forum, or the creator of the forum. he should be cautioned whenever dealing in his own money on a business venture of any size. Ive been on this forum for 6 years or better. not under my newest business name, but ive been around. it goes to show you that post counts and join dates are NOT a good source of credibility on the internet. it doesnt matter if you have 10 or 10,000 posts. the OP doesnt know any one of us and should take everything we say with a grain of salt!

OP, I wish you the best in your business venture. It sounds like a decent deal to me. Like some others said, try and manipulate the accounts and equipment into one strategically negotiated price and you may have struck gold. or not. you know it better than any of us here. cheers and good luck!

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Get some professional advice.. Accountant, Lawyer - do it right, it sounds ok, but don't get screwed by not knowing the paperwork side.. Might seem expensive to use professionals, but might save your 20k bacon.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel View Post
Get some professional advice.. Accountant, Lawyer - do it right, it sounds ok, but don't get screwed by not knowing the paperwork side.. Might seem expensive to use professionals, but might save your 20k bacon.
best advice of any of us!

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the biggest advantage you have in this deal is the changeover can basically be seemless since you are already working the accounts and running the crew. you can basically just keep doing what you are already doing. perhaps even the boss selling it to you would let you make payments over a period of time instead of having to pay it all in one lump sum? just an idea maybe you could talk it over with him.