Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

edger blades

has anyone ever tried making their own edger blades. i have a still kombi and went to buy edger blades today and after looking at them it seems its just a rectangle piece of steel with a hole in the middle. has anyone had any luck or bad experience with this??
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I paid $2 each for the last batch I bought. I guess if you have time to mess with them. Seems cheap enough to not spend my time. Besides, we do most edging with a trimmer anyway. For the limited use our edgers get, $2 blades aren't a budget concern.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

It would be easy if you had a huge hydrolic punch. If you had that you would be a fab shop. use to work at a place that had one that was a beast of a tool. Other than that just buy them. If you want to save money buy 50 at a time they are real cheap that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

i just bought my edger and bought the blades as well but it got me pondering if anyone did. as to having the tools to make them my dad is a shop teacher and also has a cnc plasma table and could probly cut them pretty quickly.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
i just bought my edger and bought the blades as well but it got me pondering if anyone did. as to having the tools to make them my dad is a shop teacher and also has a cnc plasma table and could probly cut them pretty quickly.
As easy as it sounds, that machine will cost more to run then it would to just buy the blades. Then you have material cost and labor. Just buy them in bulk.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i buy 50 at a time for $.79 a piece
Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't get those ones made in china. i've used them before. they only last 1-2 yards and they are worn down 1" or more. they also aren't as long as the made in usa ones. the made in usa ones will last for 10 yards before you need to replace them. you can buy them on ebay 50 for about $50 or something. make sure they say made in the usa. the china steel is crap.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot, if it didn't cost as much to mail them as to buy them I'd send you a spare dozen I've got sitting here. I gave my old partner my McClane edger several years ago and forgot I had a stash of blades. Now they're just sitting on the shelf in the event I need a 9"x2" piece of scrap steel when I'm welding. Not that I'd remember I had them when I needed them anyway...
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

He is a shop teacher so there wouldn't be labor or any cost except for material but I was just wondering lol ill continue buying them for now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you buy a 50 pack, the steel is so cheap, that it is almost worth buying edger blades to make shop projects out of (not quite, but almost). You really can't buy sheet steel for less, forgetting about the time to fabricate the shape.

Anyway, real edger blades have the hole punched nicely in the center, so you don't have to worry about balancing or anything else. I pay about $3 a blade, but I buy them one at a time (then again, I go through about 1 a year on my house). If I used more, I'd just buy a 50 pack. And I DO own a plasma cutter. It just isn't worth my time, but I do toss worn out blades in the scrap bin, and they get used for random things from time to time.