Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post

I've never understood this reasoning. My parent's are always cautioning me against working myself to death. My customers say to me "I didn't think I'd see you today." My thinking is, I really have it easier than most people. Yes I have to bust my butt March-November unless there is a drought, but outside of a few scattered snowfalls I get three months off a year. With all the time off during the winter, why should I take a day off or feel the need to when the grass is growing like it is? What are we a bunch of wimps?
How old are you? You'll feel it eventually. I felt it bad this spring due to an unrelenting winter and an understaffed spring rush. I had to take a week off work and I don't even have my own business anymore. I used to feel the same way you did. Work 18 hours every day. Can't do it forever.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not working. Going camping for the whole weekend. I need this
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be 33 in June. I'm not saying don't take a break. But I don't think I need a three day weekend when I work a profession where you get the whole winter off. We don't don't get a ton of snow here. 6 or 7 2 inch+ snows if we're lucky. That's a lot more time off then most people get.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
I couldn't even dream of taking a perfectly good weekday off unless it was Christmas or thanksgiving. I often wonder how other companies do it. How do you make up a whole 10 or 12 hour day? It's not like you can double up the next day. It's not worth it to me. Besides. I'd be sitting home all day feeling guilty for not working.
Posted via Mobile Device
NOPE. Most if not all people that work on Memorial Day have a lack of understanding what the day actually means. You may "KNOW" but the understanding escapes you.

I'm not picking on you personally, but your post summed up the attitude of a lot of people, and friends of mine, so I'm using it to make a point. "It's just another day." type attitude. I'm not singling you out, but your post sums up far too many people nowadays.

When I do a bid on a property, I let all my customers know I do not work on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Armed Forces day or 9-11.

The guys I served with can't make up missing the birth of a child. They can't make up not seeing their family again because a bomb went off and killed them. I can't make up a 12 and 15 month tour to the family and friends I was separated from. All of us that served could list a million reasons to waste a perfectly good year and 15 months, let alone a week day, but we didn't. The LEAST anyone could do is push off a 12 hour work day and work the following Saturday. but hey, why have a tough week when you don't have to?

Guilty for not working? only if you sit on your butt all day. Going to a Memorial Service at a VFW hall or a Veteran Cemetery will cure that guilt real quick. You just might feel guilty about other things.

I may come off as a pompous a**, but seriously, this above ALL things chaps my butt............. what is so important about work that a little respect and recognition can't be given to men and women that deserve it above all others? Yes, even your clients

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Good man SaberLawnCare...I was wondering about the mind set here ...do you other guys really think your customers want to see you at there homes on a national holiday, that's just wrong.....wow
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I hope the ones who condemn the others for working won't buy gas, turn the TV on or do anything that requires someone else to work. I am working Saturday to mow a cemetery that will most likely go into Sunday so people who take the day off don't have to walk in tall grass.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh... Big monday list and I work 7 days a week so can t be skipping days.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Well I hope the ones who condemn the others for working won't buy gas, turn the TV on or do anything that requires someone else to work. I am working Saturday to mow a cemetery that will most likely go into Sunday so people who take the day off don't have to walk in tall grass.
Even if I was "condemning" people who work, it's asinine to assume that gas station employees are going to be making noise at somebody's house while they have the day off from a "real job."

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerTurbo7.3 View Post
Working. Skip Monday and push everything back a day sounds like bad news here. If I did that I would probably get rained out a full day then I would be working the following Saturday and Sunday. No thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

My thoughts exactly. No such thing as a holiday during working months for fear of a rain day really screwing us up. We have not had a dry week this entire spring so far. Example...Calling for rain tomorrow and friday morning.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First of all thank you for your service! Second you have to think about it like this. Those who serve, have served and have given the ultimate sacrifice have all fought for our freedom and that includes our freedom of choice. If somebody chooses to work so they can put food on the table and a roof over there families heads even on a holiday of any type then great for them and everybody should respect that even veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLawnCare View Post
NOPE. Most if not all people that work on Memorial Day have a lack of understanding what the day actually means. You may "KNOW" but the understanding escapes you.

I'm not picking on you personally, but your post summed up the attitude of a lot of people, and friends of mine, so I'm using it to make a point. "It's just another day." type attitude. I'm not singling you out, but your post sums up far too many people nowadays.

When I do a bid on a property, I let all my customers know I do not work on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Armed Forces day or 9-11.

The guys I served with can't make up missing the birth of a child. They can't make up not seeing their family again because a bomb went off and killed them. I can't make up a 12 and 15 month tour to the family and friends I was separated from. All of us that served could list a million reasons to waste a perfectly good year and 15 months, let alone a week day, but we didn't. The LEAST anyone could do is push off a 12 hour work day and work the following Saturday. but hey, why have a tough week when you don't have to?

Guilty for not working? only if you sit on your butt all day. Going to a Memorial Service at a VFW hall or a Veteran Cemetery will cure that guilt real quick. You just might feel guilty about other things.

I may come off as a pompous a**, but seriously, this above ALL things chaps my butt............. what is so important about work that a little respect and recognition can't be given to men and women that deserve it above all others? Yes, even your clients

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)