Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

adding on to a zone

Got a client who's irrigation was never installed properly... he's got rotors out in main grass and sprays on the edges of sidewalks spraying the beds... and the sidewalk onto the grass where to rotors do not hit head to head... yea..anyway he has 5 zones, an area with no rotors or sprays that needs to be irrigated.. probably about 35 ft to closst rotor... my options... re-nozzle all the rotors so i have more gpm available and add a head or two...or try out the map rotator nozzles and install a couple sprays... which is your opinion. Lots of variables here I know considering he's abrand new client.. I fdont know how many gpm he has or pressure available.. im sire its either class 200 or schedule 40.. 3/4" or 1"... thats the norm around here..I just wasn't to assume he's maxed out . What would u guys do? If I hooked.on to zone with sprays I'd have to bore under sidewalk btw.. no biggie but more time on job site.. just from the few min I had available there today he had about 10 rotors on that zone and onle about 6 sprays on its zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

abrand new client? I would just get the the system operational for now, get paid and advise on improvements.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes brand new as of today... i do full maintenance and he just asked for me to take over the irrigation as well. I very quickly showed him how to use his controller and ran a test on the system... whoever installed it (home builder) did half azz job... sprays covering sidewalks... rotors throwing onto back patio... I didn't get down even close enough to see what kind of rotors and sprays he had.. looked like rain bird from a distance.. I did advise him of the changes of recommend and he agreed and wants to go forwa with them... that being said I've nver used the mp rotators before... how do u like them on expanding existing systems... I'd rather not run a whole new zone for these two heads... I do believe I can stretch the existing system and get what I need... most distance between these rotors are short as is.. maybe 15'.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would probably give him a price and never hear from him again.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dowsed a system a few weeks ago and was able to find the center of the zone. Dug straight down on the center of the main, cut, capped and verified that i was right and then installed a new valve and water source.

Worked well and cut the zone down to 11 heads per zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Be very careful about trying to fix something that was never right to begin with. Sometimes it is almost impossible without starting over completely. Been there done this. In fact I will not give a upfront price to fix one of these. I may give them a rough estimate but tell them I will do it at time + material rate. You never know what you will run into on these systems. Secondly are you sure you know what it takes to make it right? In other words do you have the experiences & knowledge to handle this?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I dowsed a system a few weeks ago and was able to find the center of the zone. Dug straight down on the center of the main, cut, capped and verified that i was right and then installed a new valve and water source.

Worked well and cut the zone down to 11 heads per zone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure wish I could dowse!!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Be very careful about trying to fix something that was never right to begin with.
Hell, if that were the case, I'd never have any work. Majority of the systems we work on were never installed correctly. But the customer doesn't want to spend $3k-$10K for a new one. They will deal with what they have, making improvements if possible.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Be very careful about trying to fix something that was never right to begin with. Sometimes it is almost impossible without starting over completely. Been there done this. In fact I will not give a upfront price to fix one of these. I may give them a rough estimate but tell them I will do it at time + material rate. You never know what you will run into on these systems. Secondly are you sure you know what it takes to make it right? In other words do you have the experiences & knowledge to handle this?
I agree with ya 100% on all of this... a price was never agreed upon exactly for your reasoning... you only make this mistake once..lol as for experience getting this right.. I do believe so.. i will calculate my existing heads on site to determine his gpm used... I'll verify main supply line, laterals, and meter size to help determine how much available gpm I have.. that should let me know if I can add a head or two.. specially if I nozzle em down a bit and do longer runs times considering its on a 5 zone system... longer run time isn't an issue..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Sure wish I could dowse!!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
watch the video that i posted on youtube. type dowsing in the search box here, aint that hard to do or find.
Posted via Mobile Device