Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Top Designers

Hey Guys. I love the top end websites that are sleek and very stylish, but also realize that they don't come cheap. I made my website myself, which is somewhat attractive, but would like a more sophisticated site. I was wondering where you guys hire or find good (CHEAP) website designers. Or do you normally just find a local company? Also thoughts on my current site are appreciated.

http://www.fourseasons-nc.com
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_Seasons View Post
Hey Guys. I love the top end websites that are sleek and very stylish, but also realize that they don't come cheap. I made my website myself, which is somewhat attractive, but would like a more sophisticated site. I was wondering where you guys hire or find good (CHEAP) website designers. Or do you normally just find a local company? Also thoughts on my current site are appreciated.

http://www.fourseasons-nc.com
The website is important, don't get me wrong, but it does not matter how great the website is if nobody ever finds it. To me, in today's environment, the first thing I would be concerned about is SEO and being found by google/bing etc. There are several companies out there than can help, there is decent information on this site. But SEO (Search Engine Optimization ) is what you should be concerned about IMHO first. Once the traffic is coming...then the cash to pay for the cleaner website is there.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You have a frames-based site. You really don't want a frames-based site. To demonstrate the glaring deficiency, hit Google and put this in the search box: "site:fourseasons-nc.com" and look at the results vs. what you think your site's content is. You think you have 5 pages. Does Google?

In terms of "CHEAP", your idea of cheap vs my idea vs papercutter's etc, will vary greatly. If you come up with an actual budget, you'll be able to get much better advice and direction. We talked about this recently, so I'd take a look through the last page or two of posts and you'll find the conversation.

The gist of it is... how much can you budget and then how much sweat equity can you add to the cause that will help cover the shortfalls?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Absolutely agree on the SEO. As far as not having individual URL's for the pages with a frame based site, I agree as well. That was the best site I could come up with on my own, as using website builders like "Joomla" are a little out of my league. Price really isnt an issue as long as I get what I want, but I am not looking to spend the quad digits. What I would really like is an initial page that takes you to three sections of either "Maintenance/Design/Installation" and from there you "Enter" the site onto the section with a separate gallery and info page. Then have a "Main" section with the about us and contact information.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_Seasons View Post
using website builders like "Joomla" are a little out of my league.
Ah, yes...the "hunting squirrel with a rocket launcher" idea. We talk about this every now and again on here. If your site is going to be static, or relatively static, there is no need for pulling your hair out using a CMS. They can be nice for plug 'n play form integration and blogging, but for the vast majority of LCOs, it's just learning curve when one may not really be necessary. You can just as easily go with a semi-custom templated site that you modify, or pay someone to modify, or a builder, such as squarespace, and then grind away on the SEO. We've given a pretty good roadmap of doing things on here, so it's just a matter of research and learning.

Take a look at this thread as well as we recently talked about the budget issues:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=404450

Budget-wise, $1,000 raises your level of effort you can expect from a good developer, but you'll still likely have some sweat equity to add in. It's kind of like a homeowner having budget $1,000 to have you install new landscape beds, but their effort picks up when it comes to mulching and planting.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. Is there really any "Good" builders? You make it sound like you build websites?
Just looking for someone with a good site and referrals to a company that is sure to deliver. Saw one a while back but can guarantee they exceed my budget.