Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying a new mower

Hey guys

Hopefully buying a new mower this week. In the past I have not done much mowing just landscape and home improvement but I have used homeadvisor and got more into mowing this year. Anyhow, right now I have a 48" exmark walk behind and am looking to buy another mower, thinking a zero turn. Since I still do not have much mowing to do, only about 15 lawns, I was not gonna buy a heavy duty commercial mower. I was looking at theToro TimeCutter SS5000. Let meknow what you think. I am trying to keep it close to $3k for the purchase until I get a little bigger. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buying a new mower

Buy a used commercial unit. Your productivity will be much better.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup! I'd go for a used 52 or 60 inch zero turn. You could probably find a Snapper or Simplicity for your budget with pretty low hours. Mine's been a good little mower considering all the abuse it gets Very similar to Ferris. I've noticed a couple of the other local lawn companies around here use Simplicity's and they seem like a good solid mower for the price.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Believe me, you can get a clean and well maintained used commercial unit with 2000+ hours and still be better built and more durable than a homeowner. I take on some of the roughest yards and wouldn't think about going across them once with out heavy duty equipment...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Also try Craigslist. Lots of good commercial ztr's on there for around your price range. I wouldn't even consider a homeowner machine if you're planning on doing this long term. If you go with the homeowner unit you'll just be looking at replacing it with a commercial unit in a few seasons. Might as well I ahead and find a good commercial ztr now. And definitely don't finance if you don't have to, but I'm sure you already know that. Best of luck to you.
Posted via Mobile Device