Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2000, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked at getting a 21" Toro 4 cycle 5.5hp 3 speed w/ recycler.
looking to get a mulching blade for it.
Does anyone see pros or cons for it????
Old 08-25-2000, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Nothing but cons IMHO.
Too heavy, too many moving parts.

Get the same unit with the 2 cycle suzuki engine.
They are the best 21" mulcher available. They already come from the factory with a recycler blade.

Also if you only have 21" two cycle toros you only need one gas can (two stroke premix) and your help can't put straight fuel into your $350 string trimmer.
Old 08-25-2000, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point about the gas,
have yuo had problems with them breaking down due to to moving parts.
Excuse my ignorance but whats IHMO>
Old 08-25-2000, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with STONE, go with the Toro 21" Commerical w/4.5 Suzuki engine. I bought one last year and am very impressed with the way it cuts. However now that I bought my Walker ZTR mower the Toro hardly ever comes off the trailer. The price in my area for that mower is about $900.00. Would I buy another one? I would spend the money if that was to be my main mower, if I just needed a trim mower I would probally buy a 2 cycle lawnboy. Good Luck with your new venture. Mowman
Old 08-25-2000, 05:12 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I have two toro suzuki trimmig mowers both are circa 1989
and are a few serial numbers apart. One was purchased new the other one used in excellent condtion at the dealer for
$250 with a new tranny just installed.

Internet lingo at=
http://digital-women.com/webtalk.htm#abbreviations
Old 08-25-2000, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, go with the 2cycle, no oil changes or anything. when youve got 20-25 acounts a day, the last thing you need is STRESS. seeya.
Old 08-25-2000, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

toro Z Masters 44" deck 20HP

Toro's Z Master Z253/Z255 Series liquid or air cooled 22 hp kawasaki 52" deck? Opinions wanted!
Old 08-25-2000, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I used my new Exmark Metro 21" that I won for the first time yesterday. I believe it's identical to the Toro 21". It has the four stroke Briggs 6.5 engine, with the three speed tranny.

I see the reasoning behind the choice of a two stroke, lighter, less complex, and sharing the same gas can as your other two stroke stuff. But it's just a matter of personal choice. And my choice is four stroke all the way. Quieter and cleaner to name a couple. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a two stroke mower,I just personally like 4 strokes.

Was surprised to see that the 6.5 briggs even has a canister type oil filter which is nice. By the way the mower cut nice. Wouldn't dare complain after winning a brand new mower.
Old 08-26-2000, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

toro 21"

I have used the two-cycle toro 21" as my main mower for about a year. That was 20 lawn a week for 32 weeks. I still use it as a trim mower operating 3+ hours a week.

That is the best little mower i have ever used. It cuts as fast as you can run (removed governor).

But I do have two complaints.

1 Most of the lawns that i little mow are thin Fescue lawns. the mower has a hard time when bagging to lift the grass before cutting (especialy at higher speeds). At times it leaves the lawn looking like it was cut w/ a dull blade although the blade is sharp. To avoide this i simply dischard the grass. Homeowner cant tell the difference and lawn looks great.

2. When trying to cut thick tall grass the mower sometimes lacks the power needed to cut at full speed. The 4-cycle engine will have more torque and possibly solve this problem. I guess you need to think about how much power you will need.

good luck in your decision and I personlay recomend the toro/exmark 21" 2-cycle

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 08-26-2000, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have four 2 stroke 21 toro. They are fast and reliable. A little pricy, but you get what you pay for. I get them for about 875. Stay away from the four stroke, 2 stroke is the way to go on small equipment. I have a buddy who can get the toro's for about 700. He may be able to ship them if anyoneis interested.