Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower advice

Ok I am on 7 acres. Currently I have a 50" Simplicity Conquest from around 02' runs good. I mow the field with 63 ford tractor gas with concrete truck rear tires and a 6' finish deck. I also have an old Golf course used Jacobsen front deck diesel with the 72" deep tunnel V... Also have a 30 year or so old Simplicity Sunstar with a 60" deck and the PTO DRIVEN collection trailer.

So the equipment is all older and is used on my property and 3 others by me and a guy who works for us, and is not as mechanically friendly or kind as I would like, but otherwise a fantastic worker. Total finish mowing is probably around 15 acres, and heavy stuff gets the brush hog behind the deere.

72" zero, reccommendation.... I have a big dealer with Too, Exmark, Toro, Ferris, Bobcat... Not terribly friendly, but high volume place, and seem dependable. Have a Badboy dealer close as well, nice guy, always busy, but more helpful, and where I rather get parts and supplies. Have few other "dealers" with no inventory.

Anyway I narrowed to Toro 5000s with 27 hp kohler - likes iso seat, baffle, info panel, and liked the way it drove.. concerns under-powered in 72"? Seemed complex in its setup, like I would not be able to repair myself...

Badboy Outlaw with 852 fx series kawa. Likes drove nice, seemed very solid in build, seemed simple and easy to work on, transmissions are big 16 cc units, liked the sound of the kawa better (have a kawa in a gator that has over 6k hours on it, and has seen stuff that would kill a mower) i am a kawa believer... Cons name recognition, resale?, no ROPS (it is very flat where we are), sealed spindles, aluminum spindles, and that horrible wing has to go.

Price is within 200 dollars, Equine pricing :-)

What do you guys think.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I would go with the Toro or Exmark but bump up to a diesel motor for power and longevity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 27the is a little weak on a 72", i personally sell the 72"xp with the 36hp vanguard on the laws, its a little more throaty sounding, more juice, and a hair cheaper...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, but for the cost of diesel I could by 2 more gas motors, and swap them out myself. Diesel goes in boats, and tractors for me. Diesel trucks only make sense if you go 70k miles plus a year. My 05 3500 crew has 57k miles on its 8.1 big block, I bought it new. Although I do have a diesel tank at the farm, and the fuel would be easier, not worth it for the 100 - 200 hrs a year this machine will see.

So big question is the 27 hp kohler enough motor for the 5000 series Toro?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks retro, i am actually leaning toward the outlaw extreme, i liked the way the united drives felt when i drove, the separate pumps felt touchy, and stiff. The suspension stuff is pretty cool though.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I thought the machine was seeing way more house then you mentioned, hence why I advised on the diesel. Can't really comment on the Kohler. I am a Kawasaki man myself and if it were me I would want a 30+ HP for that monster of a deck. I do feel that the 27 Kohler will be sufficient but then again it depends on the grass you are cutting. How many inches at a time are you taking off, how thick is the grass, and the conditions (dry or wet).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

DryAn 6-8 Is About The Worst Of It. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I would opt for 30+ regarding of Kohler or Kawasaki.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Sponsor

We would suggest that you check out Exmark’s RED unit http://exmark.com/ExmarkAdvantage/RED.aspx as it has the capability to adjust to the load. You can schedule a demo with your dealer. As you know, we offer a discount to individuals who belong to applicable equine organizations. Please check with your dealer for pricing.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Those Are Pretty Pricey Even With The Discount... I Am Not A Professinal, More Of A Homeowner With Alot Of Grass... Looking For Dependable, New, 72" Deck Zero.
Posted via Mobile Device