Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

New mower...security

I'm about to take delivery of a 48" Scag SWZT. I have a shed with a padlock to keep it as secure as everyother piece of yard equipment I've ever owned. I live in a very low crime area, but anything can happen. Besides letting my insurance company know I have a $5k mower what else can I do to ensure its safety and give me piece of mind...am I over thinking this?

My father was a cop and he always said if someone wants something of yours they'll find a way to get it, you just need to find a way to make it inconvenient for them.

I'm sure the professionals on here have real shops with real doors and locks and probably security systems, but what can a homeowner do to assure their mower will be there when they open the door.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Install a a kill switch in a hidden area...
Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're that serious and willing to spend the money have it GPS chipped

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

NOTHING can prevent it from getting stolen if a thief wants it

of course, if you get lo-jack installed, even if it gets stolen you have a good chance to recover it!

www.lojack.com
Old 06-07-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take the key out; hard to push a hydro when it's not running.

Chain it to something or at least so the wheels won't turn.

Make sure it can't be seen when it's not in use.

Ensure that where it's locked up can't be easily broken into; strong lock and latch, can't pop hinges, cant just cut a hole in the wall or fence easily. (Seen thin plastic sheds with the backs cut out by a sharp knife/saw)

Paint, or preferably, engrave some good ID on it (name or something); close to serial numbers so that if they grind it off it will be seen when the serial is checked.

Spend some money on GPS or LoJack.

If someone wants it, its gone. If they can get a different one easier then yours is less of a target.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

There are all types of tiny GPS devices designed just for this. They don't cost much and the monthly service isn't too bad either. That doesn't help deter theft but who's going to suspect or even find a well hidden GPS device? If It disappears, you can track it down, call the authorities and probably stop a local or even multi-state theft ring.

You can get relatively inexpensive DVR Camera systems as well. Some are even wireless. I've seen them at Best Buy, Sam's Club and even Harbor Freight. All the no name brands are made in china but my 16 channel DVR system has been running trouble free for years. These can help deter theft because a lot of the smarter thieves know you can see the infrared from the cameras using an ordinary digital camera so they'll avoid your house and garage.

This reminds me...They are clearing the lot next to me to build a house which brings they type of workers who sometimes have second jobs as thieves. I'll be re-pointing a couple of my cameras that way and I have a 150' IR illuminator I need to hook up for better night vision.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, but it may not happen. Getting lots of stories why they can't get it and no stories of when I'll ever see it. Called 3 dealers around me and they all say back ordered.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Sulking time over, delivered today.

Far as I can see I don't need to worry about theft since I'll be sleeping with it in my shed.

I would do a write up, but I can't compare to anything but a Troy Bilt 33". As far as I can see its 100x more machine I'd ever need and it will probably last my lifetime. Homeowner grade? Ok, I'm fine with that. Cuts great - never seen grass turn to dust, and maneuvers great...once I get it down. Seeing me in reverse is kind of comical.