Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear you like the Toro. How is the ride? Does the big deck scalp at all? I am in a similar situation with a horse farm and six acres to mow, possibly more, if I use on pastures. I have a 72 inch finish mower on my Yanmar tractor and a husky 52 garden tractor now. Taking to much time. I am looking at the 6000 Toro 72 with bb kohler efi. With equine savings, 10600. Should I go for it?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine only has the 25hp kohler, seems to be plenty to me. I have thick dense grass along a line of 30' Douglas firs that hardly ever gets sun, and is always wet. That stuff would bog down my 63' Ford 4300 gas tractor with a 6'landpride deck, and clump badly... new blades wide open throttle, just thick heavy grass. The Toro cuts it like anything else, doesn't flinch. I will never mow in the rain, and I can wait for good weather to mow, so that is the worst of it and the 25 is plenty. I will not be adding a bagger either, so again not sure what more HP would be worth to me.

Ride was rough when i first got it, but the tire pressure was like 28psi... reccomended was 13 psi, so that smoothed it out alot. Dealer had some deluxe seats and let me swap my 4 hour old seat for a pretty good price so theoretically my 3000 has same rear tires, and a lower center of gravity than a 5 or 6k series...with the same seat...so ride should be on par or better I would think. Ride is pretty impressive to me, but I went from improper PSI first time ZTR operator, to lower pressure better seat... so i have nothing to guage, but definetwly smoother tgan the old Ford!
I have only scalped once, and I hit a dog hole with the back tire when I did it. Scalp wheels are at the highest setting. I mow at 3.75" and my property is pretty much flat.

Mine was 7800 with equine. I got a good deal on the seat because I paid cash, even though I qualified 0%.. the financing costs the dealer 2%, the distributer 2%, and toro 2%. Mine will run 1.5-2 hours per week cutting, and garage queen the rest of the time... so worked for me. We cut pastures with a brush hog. I say go for it. Based on my limited experience I am not so sure the big hp is needed for most applications. Although most people here are loke 30hp minimum etc... Maybe mulching, bagging, or cutting in the rain. I use an old 20hp PTO simplicity with the impellar on the 3 point, and the aluminum trailer, works great the two times I do leaves a year..it is a shame they don't build them like the mid 80's Simplicity or Allis Chambers anymore. That old girl will be my primary backup, yeah I have a sweet spot for that machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Tananut for you reply. Glad to hear it working for you well. I use my bushog to when the pastures get high.
I have used my finish mower too when they are not that high on the smaller ones. Sounds like you got a good price and mower. I just thought the horizon tech was interesting. Hopefully the kohler efi is a good motor.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraman View Post
Thanks Tananut for you reply. Glad to hear it working for you well. I use my bushog to when the pastures get high.
I have used my finish mower too when they are not that high on the smaller ones. Sounds like you got a good price and mower. I just thought the horizon tech was interesting. Hopefully the kohler efi is a good motor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I am sure it is good. As long as you do not beat on them and keep up on the oil, they run forever. I have heard good things about the EFI's, early a few years ago not as good, but seems the bugs are worked out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNANUT View Post
Ride was rough when i first got it, but the tire pressure was like 28psi... reccomended was 13 psi, so that smoothed it out alot.
Anything over 10 PSI makes the ride unnecessarily rough IMO.
I run 8 PSI in my tires.