Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our temps are bouncing all over the place up here. It was in the 90s last week, 60s yesterday and today.

During the heat wave we get almost every summer I throw a couple of towels in the truck and a handful of tshirts. It seems stupid, but it feels good to put a dry shirt on every hour or so.

And I don't care how, but yeah, keep hydrated.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Definite must for us is using full length sleeve Under Armor Heat Gear Compression shirts. These shirts are also full UV/UVA and SPF50 resistant. They may be a tad expensive, but our health and comfort ability are worth any price. You only live once.

Working smarter and not harder couldn't be more applied to us people working out in the sun and temperatures.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm really concerned about my son working outdoors in the heat of central indiana where it's 90+ and high humidity. he just started his first year of what appears to be his new career in landscaping and already, he know it all!!! I've tried to tell him the importance of staying hydrated and wearing the proper/best protective clothing. he thinks he's super human and tougher than heat.

it's one thing to tell of the importance of staying hydrated, it's another to tell someone (especially a young 'know it all') HOW to stay hydrated and what is the best protective clothing. there has to be tons of tricks to staying cool along with the proper equipment such as coolers, thermos, and the ability to keep drinks/towels cold throughout the day inside a hot truck.

i'd really like to find a good thread here on lawnsite that would give him some really good tips for dealing with the heat. this thread has some good ideas but i'm hoping to find more. i can only imagine you guys working in the florida/south heat. it must be brutal.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I know it's going to be really hot, I make sure to consume a large quantity of water as soon as I get up in the morning. Think of it this way - as you respirate during sleep, you exhale a lot of moisture from your body, so you are actually starting out the day slightly dehydrated. Once you get behind on your liquid intake, it's very difficult to catch back up in the heat.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

personally i stay hydrated with my 4 gallon water cooler.

beyond that i just quit for the day when i feel i've had enough of the heat. like if it's 98 degrees, i do what i can in the morning when it's cooler but once it gets to hot i call it a day. no amount of work for any amount of money is worth my health. if people have to have there properties serviced so bad there willing to risk my health to get it done then they can find a different person.

i spend plenty of weeks working half days or shorter some times. i've had days where i've started at 8am and finished at 10am because it got that hot, that quickly. plus as i said. i'm not willing to risk my health for work or money. so while there might be some guys i know who will work in some of the hot temps, i won't.

i know my buddy and his guys do. there don't take days off or work shorter days because of the heat. hell they work in the rain and lightening too.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirter View Post
i'm really concerned about my son working outdoors in the heat of central indiana where it's 90+ and high humidity. he just started his first year of what appears to be his new career in landscaping and already, he know it all!!! I've tried to tell him the importance of staying hydrated and wearing the proper/best protective clothing. he thinks he's super human and tougher than heat.

it's one thing to tell of the importance of staying hydrated, it's another to tell someone (especially a young 'know it all') HOW to stay hydrated and what is the best protective clothing. there has to be tons of tricks to staying cool along with the proper equipment such as coolers, thermos, and the ability to keep drinks/towels cold throughout the day inside a hot truck.

i'd really like to find a good thread here on lawnsite that would give him some really good tips for dealing with the heat. this thread has some good ideas but i'm hoping to find more. i can only imagine you guys working in the florida/south heat. it must be brutal.
Young fellers are tough, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirter View Post

I don't think you are going to find anything, there is a lot of good information right here. Not having a heatstroke or getting dehydrated is pretty basic. Drink plenty of water, eat right, pace yourself and don't put yourself in harm's way. And if he think's he's super human and tougher than the heat...that's just ignorant and selfish. Did you know that paralysis is a common result of severe heatstroke ? And who get's to take 24/7/365 care of the person who now has a totally preventable condition ? Usually the parent's. Are you willing to devote your life to his care ? Are you willing to wipe his ass ? And who is going to do this when you die ? This is what i mean by being selfish.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's not even hot yet. today wasn't that bad at all. barely broke a sweat.

if you can walk outside without pouring sweat then it's not hot yet. in july and august as soon as you step outside you start sweating. that's without doing any work at all. when it's that hot you gotta just keep drinking constantly. gatorade, water, whatever. plenty of ice.

edge then when you go back to the truck take a few sips of drink. mow and then go back and load up the mower and sip a few more down. trim and then when to you back to the truck drink some more. the blow everything off and drink some more on the way to the next job. i always run the a/c on high between jobs. by the time i'm at the next job i've pretty much cooled down and stopped sweating. this is good for your body. it will keep you from having a heat stroke or passing out.

it's foolish to just keep your body at 100 degrees 8-12hrs a day. if you do that you need to be drinking 2 gallons of water a day.

when it gets so hot you can barely breathe that's when you know it's hot.

i don't even take a cooler with me. i take like a big plastic cup of water with me and that lasts through the first couple of yards and then by that time i stop for lunch and get another drink and then a refill after i'm done drinking it the first time and that refill lasts me for the rest of the day. 2 more yards usually. please note i don't mow cookie cutter lawns so i don't have to mow as many each day. a full day is 3-5 yards for me.

Last edited by weeze; 05-23-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

frost warning here tonight.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4irish View Post
frost warning here tonight.
yeah, same here. the concern for my son has shifted from heat stroke to frostbite. hope he's got an ice scraper for his windshield. brrrrrrrr
Closed Thread