Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

G2, Gatorade or Powerade... whatever it might be, you need it. I was working in South America where the humidity was UNREAL and we ALWAYS had some sort of water or sport drink on us at all times. We alternated with water and Gatorade. When your working out in the hot sun, especially with heavy machinery, you can never take too many precautions. Stay safe!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Sugar dehydrates you.

There is not enough water in a bottle of soda for your body to process the sugar in the soda. This is why soda dehyrates you.

Gatorade has sugar. Which undoes all the other ingredients.

I know a national certified athletic trainer that says for 1 bottle of gaterade you need to drink 8 bottles of water.

I'd skip the gaterade, eat a banana, and have a salted pretzel or salted bagel, and keep drinking water so my urine stays clear.
This is the correct information.......I am 70 and don't have any problem when I am working at 100F using water only. All that sugar just loads you up with more fat an pulls you down Get in shape and used to hard work where you sweat and walking around with a trimmer would be a candy job. If you can't sweat enough to wet your shirt and pants you are like a pig in trouble.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
This is the correct information.......I am 70 and don't have any problem when I am working at 100F using water only. All that sugar just loads you up with more fat an pulls you down Get in shape and used to hard work where you sweat and walking around with a trimmer would be a candy job. If you can't sweat enough to wet your shirt and pants you are like a pig in trouble.
The sugar you can do without. Gatorade has something far more important in it. Sodium and potassium. Two elements crucial to correct cardiac function. Potassium is also an excellant cramp preventer. I start my day with a banana on my cereal. 50/50 gatorade mix and high protein snax throughout the day. Jerky, cheese, nuts, peanut butter. I kind of graze throughout the day. I don't like a full belly in high heat. It takes energy from your extremities to digest a big meal. Cool neck towels are the best too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Sugar dehydrates you.

There is not enough water in a bottle of soda for your body to process the sugar in the soda. This is why soda dehyrates you.

Gatorade has sugar. Which undoes all the other ingredients.

I know a national certified athletic trainer that says for 1 bottle of gaterade you need to drink 8 bottles of water.

I'd skip the gaterade, eat a banana, and have a salted pretzel or salted bagel, and keep drinking water so my urine stays clear.
If soda dehydrated you, I'd be dead. It's just a bunch of rubbish. I used to drink soda and then even diet soda exclusively. That's right, with no water. Bad for you? Yes. And for many reasons that I won't try to cover all of. But it certainly won't "dehydrate you". Water is best. Gatorade can help when you've depleted yourself of too many electrolytes. And yeah bananas are a good source of Potassium. But the most likely shortcoming is magnesium. Gatorade, or something similar is a convenient, rapid delivery system designed just for the task. Like most anything else, too much of a good thing ain't good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's been tested. there's a reason athletes drink gatorade. it has what you need to perform at your best. i know i can tell when i drink it that i have more stamina and i don't get tired like i do if i only drink water.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not gonna say don't drink gatorade cause that's your personally choice. but for me I do just fine with strictly water. plenty of stamina and I never get tired.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Watch the Dew Point

Ask anyone who has lived out in west Texas who visits east Texas which one is more comfortable in the summer. No comparison. The low humidity out west makes 105° bearable out around Midland, Lubbock and so on especially compared to, say Houston.

The guy who said watch the dew point was exactly right. Of course air movement, you know the west Texas wind, makes work outdoors bearable. Take it from someone who has worked outside in both.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I was in the military we monitored the dew point as much the temps, it's a combination of the two that really tells you when it's too hot to be outside working, there were times when we would go "Black Flag" Status and everything stopped, of course this was not in a combat zone, all that went out the window at that point.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I like your setup for your Trailer. I own a Pressure Washing Business in Houston, Texas.
http://www.vtmobilepressurewash.com Click Here to Check out My Site!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the BIG thing everyone is missing here is that it takes BOTH electrolyets (whether its gatorade, powerade, etc) AND water to stay hydrated properly.

It was mentioned ealier, but the science behind this is all in celular respiration. You cells need to metabloize (take in electrolytes) in order for you body to function properly. Propper respiration (aerobic respiration) will give you more energy throughout the day, and also keep your entire metabolism up. Once your cells stop metabolizing, you go into anaerobic respiration. You cells cant process the exchange of 02 and c02 properly, you start to cramp, get head aches etc etc. Hence why it is important to replenish your electrolytes.

There is nothing set in stone about the ratio of water to gatorade/powerade, but a GENERAL rule of thumb is 1/1. It might taste like ****, but I always mix powerade zero to water at a 1/1 ratio, and never have any issues in 95+ degree weather with 90+ percent humidity every day.
Closed Thread