Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i spend plenty of weeks working half days or shorter some times. i've had days where i've started at 8am and finished at 10am because it got that hot, that quickly. plus as i said. i'm not willing to risk my health for work or money. so while there might be some guys i know who will work in some of the hot temps, i won't.

i know my buddy and his guys do. there don't take days off or work shorter days because of the heat. hell they work in the rain and lightening too.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got way too hot today

I have way too much work to take days like that. Lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mowed my own 1/2 A lawn yesterday, 93 F. Drank a few sips. Then on the Drive to mow 1 A lawn I drank a quart of water. Then Drank a quart of water while doing that lawn. Then on my way to do 1/3 A lawn I drank another quart.

I was shot after that third lawn.

Even used the AC when I was driving.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
I keep a towel handy that I dip in ice cold water in the cooler and put it around my neck. Does wonders! Keeps the blood going to your head cool.
Same here, on the back on the neck does the trick for me. And as someone already said, the night before tank up on fluids!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Mowed my own 1/2 A lawn yesterday, 93 F. Drank a few sips. Then on the Drive to mow 1 A lawn I drank a quart of water. Then Drank a quart of water while doing that lawn. Then on my way to do 1/3 A lawn I drank another quart.

You'd be in trouble down here brother. Yesterday I had the same weather conditions. Started with 1/4 acre, went to 2 acre, then another 1/4 acre, then 5/8 acre, then 3/8 acre and finished up with another 5/8 acre. I used every tool and mower on my trailer so it wasn't like I was riding around on the mower all day.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You'd be in trouble down here brother. Yesterday I had the same weather conditions. Started with 1/4 acre, went to 2 acre, then another 1/4 acre, then 5/8 acre, then 3/8 acre and finished up with another 5/8 acre. I used every tool and mower on my trailer so it wasn't like I was riding around on the mower all day.
First mistake was not starting earlier then normal.

I'm 59 YO. You?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
First mistake was not starting earlier then normal.

I'm 59 YO. You?
Not significantly younger... 55. Osteoarthritis in both knees and hips. Torn meniscus in my right knee. Spinal stenosis in L5 to S1 that requires regular spinal epidurals. Ruptured and bulging discs.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys saying gatorade is what you need, have a 1 cm kidney stone, then tell me what you need, I already had a low sodium diet, i already didn't drink coffee or tea, which helps build kidney stones, also being dehydrated will help a lot. i already drank a gallon of water a day, now i stepped it up to 2-3 gallons a day. depending on what i do for work that day. also i eat a very healthy diet, very little mayonnaise, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, no ground beef, i'll steak a few times a month, i usually eat chicken once a week, grilled fish once a week, no cheese, very little dairy, that is bad for you, little juice, the only good juice is made by a company named simply orange i believe. its actually real juice, not from concentrate like other juices. but it is high in sugar. 99% of the time water is the answer, i do drink a few beers on occasion, but not if i plan on working the next day, because then you sweat even more. Im going to mount a 4-5 gallon water cooler on my trailer, vs. buying a 2-3 gallons a day at a gas station. which not only cost money, but it cost time, although sometimes i do need gas for the mower too, so its not wasted. and as for today it hit almost 90, i was done by 10, and stayed inside and took a nap until about 2 or 3 and continued working until 8.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

The humidity down here lately has been UNREAL.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I dont turn on the ac till I'm on my way home. to much for the body to go in and out of extreme temperatures.
Closed Thread