Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerss View Post
Don't drink Gatorade while working, only drink water while working. Save the Gatorade until the drive home.
Yes, because physicians and scientists know nothing about hydration therapy under severe conditions. Ever see athletes wait until after the game to drink gatorade?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Yes, because physicians and scientists know nothing about hydration therapy under severe conditions. Ever see athletes wait until after the game to drink gatorade?
Posted via Mobile Device
Gatorade is filled with sugar, it will make your mouth sticky. Water on the other hand will not. And when athletes are drinking out of their gatorade water bottles, they're not drinking Gatorade, they're drinking water.
echo trimmer
echo backpack blower
Ford F350
9 residential accounts, 1 commercial
Old 06-05-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Gatorade is filled with sugar, it will make your mouth sticky. Water on the other hand will not. And when athletes are drinking out of their gatorade water bottles, they're not drinking Gatorade, they're drinking water.
Its only as sweet as you mix it. You must not have played many sports. Watch closely the next time a coach gets a victory bath from the cooler. That isn't colored water getting dumped on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatorade

The stuff sold in convenience stores etc IE bottled, is not quite the same. Typically the powdered mix is diluted. Drinking the bottled stuff all day isn't a good idea (like most other bottled beverages). If I drink bottled Gatorade (seldom) I try to drink 8-10 ounces at a time and drink mostly water. 16-32 ounces of Gatorade is plenty for all day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Well actually some physicians and scientists (sports physiologists) know quite a bit about hydration under extreme conditions because that is where the research and knowledge of ultra athletes, sports/olympic teams, combat soldiers, etc. comes from. Google some of the research papers.

Good friend of mine is a cardiologist who is a Doc for the U.S. Nordic team and advises some ultra athletes including those in the Leadville 24 hour 100 mile foot race (starts at 10,000 feet altitude). He advised me on crossing the Grand Canyon for my 65th birthday done in 11 hours in one day during temps of close to 100. I wouldn't have made it if all I drank was water!! I have been a lifelong athlete depending upon this research for cross country bike rides, hill races, etc. Was also in medical field for 30 years. Electrolytes have to be replaced. Water can suffice for shorter periods of time but not indefinitely.

There is a lot of knowledge out there on this topic and we can all learn from it and tailor our own high heat/cold programs. A person has to do the homework. There is some not-so-good advice floating around here.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This place is like a gold mine. You need a sluice box to wash away all the bad information.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

True, your info. sensible Guerilla.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'll be drinking gatorade when it gets 100 this summer.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
Well actually some physicians and scientists (sports physiologists) know quite a bit about hydration under extreme conditions because that is where the research and knowledge of ultra athletes, sports/olympic teams, combat soldiers, etc. comes from. Google some of the research papers.

Good friend of mine is a cardiologist who is a Doc for the U.S. Nordic team and advises some ultra athletes including those in the Leadville 24 hour 100 mile foot race (starts at 10,000 feet altitude). He advised me on crossing the Grand Canyon for my 65th birthday done in 11 hours in one day during temps of close to 100. I wouldn't have made it if all I drank was water!! I have been a lifelong athlete depending upon this research for cross country bike rides, hill races, etc. Was also in medical field for 30 years. Electrolytes have to be replaced. Water can suffice for shorter periods of time but not indefinitely.

There is a lot of knowledge out there on this topic and we can all learn from it and tailor our own high heat/cold programs. A person has to do the homework. There is some not-so-good advice floating around here.
You do realize I was being sarcastic. It was UF scientists and doctors that invented Gatorade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry if I misread ya Patriot but hard to tell from some of the comments here.
Closed Thread