Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

SQ FT New Lawn Install pricing?

Looking for pricing ideas on some seed work. Its been awhile since Ive done new lawn installs and not sure what the going rate is ( for any area not just local). Typically we do time, rentals and materials (which works) but just wondering if a certain formula works well for you and is fair and still some what competitive. Any info is appreciated!
Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

What kind of seed work? Are you just over seeding with a broadcast seeder or are you going to dethatch and slit seed. Makes a huge difference when it comes to prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

New construction . Broadcast seed & fert . ROUGh grade existing. Planning on Harley rake to clean up then bringing in top soil with top dresser to seed on top of. It's only 10,000 sq ft and I bid it at $3,400 so I know it's high but we are slammed and his soil is **** so idk. Just looking for what competition may charge on a sq ft side for seed work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for the reply!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to add we are doing tile work at that price as well . 4 downspouts and two long runs trenched in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

10000sq' with roughly 4" thick of loam is 123.5 yards of loam.. You're cheap, real cheap for my area. My cost with just loam delivered is $2460. Never mind harley raking, removing crap, seeding amd spreading/grading the new loam. Which btw I wouldnt broadcast, me personally I'd hydro seed. that's another $1300 for 10000sq. just hydro seed and loam dropped I'm already over your bid. You may want to recheck your costs on stuff, something seems wrong there to me.
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input! I was thinking 2" base. Not recommended? Ive done this in the past and it has worked. I dont hydro seed cause I dont own one and its much cheaper for me to broadcast spread it. Im going up against the builders $.07 a sqft rate so thats why I thought it was too high. They dont give a **** with there work tho and it shows. What would you (or anyone else) charge to do a basic lawn, 10,000 sq ft that needs a top soil base. Ballpark is fine. Just looking for ideas to be competitive and for my own knowledge. Thanks to all!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

2" is not recommended for a new lawn! Min of 4, I do 6. I don't own a hydro seeder either I got a buddy with one and he gets 500 a 5000sq' tank. I charge customer 700 per 5000. Roughly number only loam spread harley raked and hydro seeded at my cost would be 6300. Obviously there's many factors that could change that number.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Builders never do a lawn install the right way that's why home owners always are having they're lawns redone. Keep that in mind. If you want to do it the right way I'd price it right. Don't go cheap and half assjust to get the job. In my opinion not worth the business reputation of half ass work
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome input!! Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2" of topsoil should be fine IF the base material has any value... we cover the sandy hills with 4" of loam, but heavier soils don't need all that...
For smaller areas I simply till in compost to the existing mineral soils... OM is the only real difference between 'dirt' and 'soil'...