Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

HELLO our Green industry already has a bad enough reputation for being the low lives who are only good enough to cut the grass in the baking heat of the sun. Why add to that reputation. Perceived value is actually more important than received value. A clean cut look and clean shined equipment goes a long way toward giving that PERCEIVED VALUE.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric, get a life old man. Times changed!

OP, I just put a kid on our labor crew with full sleve tats. He was surprised I didnt mind; I told him, dont give my clients a reason to distrust and judge you and you will be fine. People need to look at the heart, not the skin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a tattoo on my forearm and have contemplated a full sleeve for awhile now... I guess depending on what it says/is (Killa/Naked woman), if a client or potential client judge me for a tattoo then I dont want their business anyways! You are looking too deeply into this. With that being said, I may be a hypocrite because I dont allow smoking in any of the trucks or on any properties, we do keep clean equipment, and shirt tails must be tucked in!

Last edited by mathews; 05-23-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric, The guys not a carnival show, clean cut, talks well, educated young guy with a couple of tats below the elbow.

We currently wear golf shirts and khaki's and drive clean trucks everyday, I think we present ourselves very professionally.

I'm going to have or should I say start a no visible tattoo policy and go from there.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

compensation (Psychology . a mechanism by which an individual attempts to make up for some real or imagined deficiency of personality or behavior by developing or stressing another aspect of the personality or by substituting a different form of behavior.), what he is compensating for you'll have to figure out. More then likely could be a great person, but then your stuck with how others see it, after all it's your business that he will be reflecting NOT his???
Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dont get the tatoo thing? Why would you put something on your body that you wouldn't even hang on your wall?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have to be hidden. People judge and I don't want to loose a good client because of some ink on a person. There are curtain things as owners you will make exceptions, so tats might be one companys no no and long hair the other. So to each their own.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20 View Post
compensation (Psychology . a mechanism by which an individual attempts to make up for some real or imagined deficiency of personality or behavior by developing or stressing another aspect of the personality or by substituting a different form of behavior.), what he is compensating for you'll have to figure out. More then likely could be a great person, but then your stuck with how others see it, after all it's your business that he will be reflecting NOT his???

My above post talks about PERCEIVED VALUE. Who's perception am I talking about?? How about the older Up scale customers who themselves are Professionals and not into modern fads. They don't want a bunch of freaks coming to their home for any reason. That is how they Perceive Tattoos.

Tattoos are Bad enough IMHO. But hoops in the Ears, Nose and lips or face are real cries for the attention their mothers never gave them. I heard more than one story of someone losing a finger of more because a ring got caught on something. Any Jewelry is a Liability but those Hoops are an accident waiting to happen. Not to say Pants fall down aren't a tripping hazer.

OK Call me a grumpy old guy. But realize a large percentage of the population is approaching my age and feel the same way.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
How about the older Up scale customers who themselves are Professionals and not into modern fads. They don't want a bunch of freaks coming to their home for any reason. That is how they Perceive Tattoos.
Spot on. It's not the OP's perception that counts as much as it is his customers'. I wouldn't want someone covered in tattoos coming to my house either, regardless of how good a person they are on the inside. I know they're the norm now, but I'm old school and so are all of my customers. With that said, good help IS hard to find. If the kid is clean cut in every other way and you don't find any other good applicants...I'd probably hire him.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
My above post talks about PERCEIVED VALUE. Who's perception am I talking about?? How about the older Up scale customers who themselves are Professionals and not into modern fads. They don't want a bunch of freaks coming to their home for any reason. That is how they Perceive Tattoos.

Tattoos are Bad enough IMHO. But hoops in the Ears, Nose and lips or face are real cries for the attention their mothers never gave them. I heard more than one story of someone losing a finger of more because a ring got caught on something. Any Jewelry is a Liability but those Hoops are an accident waiting to happen. Not to say Pants fall down aren't a tripping hazer.

OK Call me a grumpy old guy. But realize a large percentage of the population is approaching my age and feel the same way.

OK, You're an old grumpy guy. I had older people as customers when I had my lawn business and not a single one paid any mind to any of my tattoos or piercings. I've got 4 highly visible tattoos on my right forearm as well as stretched ears and 1 eyebrow and 1 eyebrow surface piercing.
I've got more than just the 4 tattoo's on my forearm, but unless I show you the piece on my upper arm or I'm wearing shorts you can't see them. I can also cover them if need be, in the winter I wear jeans, if I have someplace to go where jeans and a tee shirt won't work I have dress pants and long sleeve dress shirts.

Don't take my looks as a lack of knowledge or that I'm a troublemaker, slacker, freak or whatever YOU want to label me as. The thing is, it's just that a label, do you label and or judge others by the color of their skin? I'd like to think that the answer would be a no, but honestly I have my doubts.

Moral of the story is I see most of you never learned the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover"