Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a gravely and will continue to buy gravely. The dealer is right up the road, they have great service (for me atleast). Both exmark dealers around me were either horrible, didn't have parts, or are too far away to get to in a pinch. The next thing when comparing mowers, the electric start was about 500 more over the pull. start. My gravely had electric start and a bigger motor than the better tt 48. Park a TT and a ProWalk next to each other and see which one is built better. The gravely is built like a tank, some parts are probably overbuilt. Both my exmark and this mower clump when the conditions aren't ideal. The cut isn't that far off in my opinion. I had high lifts on my exmark, i'm putting high lifts on my gravely. In my opinion you put and high lifts on anything it will cut good.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have 5 exmark with 52 ultra deck. I mowed all day in 2 inch rain invested grass with heavy drizzle all day. I put deck up one pin hole, and these machines mowed like a champ. We would have hardly any wet grass under deck as we scraped them down from each property. Normally I don't mow I that wet of conditions but just needed to on Saturday to stay on schedule and not be behind come Monday. I have deere, kubota and toro. Toro dealer left went exclusive exmark 3 years ago and not looking back. Scag is nice but nearest dealer is 45 minutes from me. I will run all day side by side to my competitors and there is no comparison.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

in a way this thread is kind of pointless. everyone has there brands they like and some swear by the brands they use.

in the 8 years I've been in business I've owned and used nothing but toros and exmarks. never had a problem with the quality of cut, quality of machine itself or dealer service and support.

from all the properties I've seen cut by other brands of mowers there's no reason for me to switch to them. they look no better or worse than what the exmarks and toros put out.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Scag makes a great product. Even the best mowers out there will have issues.
Most sensible statement in the entire thread...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just talked with one of the largest property management companies in NH. They are changing their whole fleet from Exmark to JD. Here is a link to the story with pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403947&page=30
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just cut side by side with a scag walk behind today around 11 am, the grass was still wet because we had showers around 9am. I with my lazer had to double cut two rows and that was it. The scag lawn was so bad that they took the walk behind off and brought a riding scag with another guy with a back pack blower. The scag lawn looked a little thicker than mine but they had clumps galore and was a mess until the guy with the back pack went over the whole front, I never checked the back. Both of the lawns were cut one week ago on Friday. Someone is going to say BS, but I saw it. It was on Beaumont Rd Berwyn incase the scag owner sees this.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzilla View Post
i used to run 'belly" ztrs. i have two walkers now. the ghs, well NO midmount can cut as good as it.. i tried them. i have run ztr's from day one along with others..used to be a loyal exmark fan. but now i bleed yellow.

i use the ghs on all my nice stuff(most all my residential and commercial stuff is higher end) . the stripes, smooth cut, no scalping is awesome. clients love this mower. has been pinnacle in pushing my growth because i can layer a nicer cut than any walkbehind or midmount, and its clean. i save tons of clean up time after pruning and in leaf season with this bad boy. i cut slopes all day everyday. it has its limits. but not like everyone says..

the mbv , well its a whole different animal. its a faster walker ( hydro gear trans) , in fact i compared it head to to head with my previous 2010 lza lazer, i can cut faster with the walker. it goes places the lazer could only dream of, excellent on hills and slopes ( i have cut 35 degreers with it . sticks like glue) . eliminates having a 36 or 48 walkbehind. has a gear drive 42" mulch deck..i have never seen any other mower in my thousands of hours mowing handle wet grass like it does. up to 4-6 inches of growth it kills it no clumps. the other manufacturers to me fail in the design of closing the blades off in to individual chambers..air man, air!! wet grass and an exmark with a mulch kit..sucks..period. scag's a little better..not much. that's where the walker guys nailed it. gear drive deck doesnt slip and i have 'tested the limits of hitting objects with it.. i will say it will take more than my old lazer and the shear pins and bolts are the ticket".. berms and hills are a non issue. at 800 lbs its light and nimber, doesnt rut. want a side discharge deck for it for the ' insane stuff'.. still cuts like a walker. to me walkbehinds and midmounts are a waste..inefficient.. and i have the BABY of the mb's. i have mowed with the mbs 29 efi (a.k.a super bee) and head to head with a z series lazer, i'll take the walker anyday. i am glad people hate on walkers and dont know about the mb's. keeps me growing.

by switching to walker i have doubled the size of my company on the same man power and can give better quality than ever before, and better than most of my competition, by far.
For ga grass your right, but come up north and walkers leave little strips of uncut grass, not near as good i used them for 10 yrs and now i don't and very happy about it, less maintenance, bagging yuck, stripes are funny looking with walker, no comparison here. depends on your grass south verses north.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
For ga grass your right, but come up north and walkers leave little strips of uncut grass, not near as good i used them for 10 yrs and now i don't and very happy about it, less maintenance, bagging yuck, stripes are funny looking with walker, no comparison here. depends on your grass south verses north.

You mean to tell me the slow moving, funny looking stripe, huge trailer space hogging walker is not the end all be all that the walker guys would like everybody to believe?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Just talked with one of the largest property management companies in NH. They are changing their whole fleet from Exmark to JD. Here is a link to the story with pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403947&page=30
Posted via Mobile Device

I am a gravely guy but I will say the 7Iron deck just might be the best cutting deck on the market today. JD hit a grand slam with the stamped deck. In our area it is very rare to see a JD mower but I have seen 15 or so over the years.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)