Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Price, arrogance, parts price, "sealed bearings" yeah right. The last couple of years the droughts have killed profits but there equipment prices have sky rocketed. Thats why this year i whent with scagg.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

like they've already said. for an exmark to do good the conditions have to be dry and good.

i was mowing a few weeks ago on yards with standing water on half of the yard.

where i cut the conditions are all over the place. very nice yards, weedy yards, tall, thick, wet, etc. i live in the south so i don't care about making stripes.

i don't really like the looks of exmarks.

i need something that cuts good no matter what i'm faced with. the john deere does that. the scag does to and gravely i've heard does this as well.

if all you mow is perfect yards in perfect conditions then exmark is probably the best mower for you. where i live this just isn't reality though. for that reason i'll never own or buy an exmark. also most exmark owners seem to come across as cocky and full of themselves. i dunno why that is. maybe it's just a coincidence?

there are a few exmark owners that are ok.

maybe it's just a ford, chevy, dodge, toyota, nissan, honda thing? i drive a toyota. i can't stand fords or chevys.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even bother cutting wet grass with my eXmarks !

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Exmark is the top seller here by far. They make a great machine. But when its wet and the Exmark guys are at the local coffee shop waiting for it to dry out Im still mowing....
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked up an Exmark walk behind ONLY because the deal was too good to pass up. I fell like a trader buying it to be honest. I would prefer to keep the orange going. I love my Scag, but kind of excited about trying this out. Around here all I see is Toro and Exmark. you do see occasionally the Ferris, Gravely, (rarely) Bobcat, Hustlers, (rarely) Scag, John Deere (paint upgrade), Dixie chopper, Grass hopper, etc. But those two are the main ones around here. As soon as my wheel drive belts come in I will let you know why people talk smack about them.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag, Toro and Exmark are the top sellers around here... each holding to an equal share of the market. I'm starting to see a few John Deere but it's rare to see Gravely, Ferris or Dixie and never Hustler.

I was, for a long time, an Exmark / Toro guy. I still own a few but this past spring I bought Scags. I still like Exmark but so far, the Scags are out-performing them. I have nothing against Exmark. I still prefer their walk behinds. I just think the Scag Turf Tiger cuts better in all conditions and overall is just a better machine, plain and simple.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark dominates the competition in northern Kentucky. All you see is trailers loaded with lazer z's and turf tracers. I love my 52" turf tracer- it cuts better than my deere or my bobcat.
Just out of curiosity- What mowers cut well in wet conditions? My turf tracer makes my yards look awful when the grass is wet
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark is a good machine. I've ran them for a whole summer, but there is nothing that makes me go "WOW, I have to own one of these." I'm perfectly fine with my John Deere mowers. They cut well, they don't give me trouble, and I have great dealer support.

This isn't the year 2000 anymore. Personally, it's the ignorant people that aren't up to date on commercial zero turns that get me. A lot of people act like Exmark is the "BEST MOWER EVER!" when there are several brands out there that are just as good or better today.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
Exmark dominates the competition in northern Kentucky. All you see is trailers loaded with lazer z's and turf tracers. I love my 52" turf tracer- it cuts better than my deere or my bobcat.
Just out of curiosity- What mowers cut well in wet conditions? My turf tracer makes my yards look awful when the grass is wet

The only reason Exmark dominates our area is because we have a very well stocked dealer, same goes for Stihl. CS Hardware usually has any part that I need in stock.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutLawnCare. View Post
I guess another problem besides the wet cutting is the price. Exmarks are a little pricey
And there lies the answer for their market decline. Exmark makes a top notch mower with a cut that rivals any other machine. The prices have gone up, but you also get more mower than you did 10 years ago. The biggest reason for the decline in our area has been dealer related. They are all still there, but at one time they were pushing exmarks at every sale. Today those same dealers are lining up scags. They will offer exmark upon request, but even go as far as bad mouthing the machines. The reason, price and margins. Simply put scag sales put more money in the dealer pockets unit for unit. I personally think it's bull. We've had scags and after my last experience I will never again. Scag tough my foot, not for us. Believe what you want it's all politics, perks, and margins.