Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
Just out of curiosity- What mowers cut well in wet conditions? My turf tracer makes my yards look awful when the grass is wet
Here in NH cutting wet grass is the way of life. With hot days and cool nights the dew doesnt burn off til 11am or so. Plus most of april and may is all rain. I have found three decks that cut good in the rain. Scag velocity, Gravely x-factor, and JD 7iron cut great not only in wet conditions but a wide variety.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
And there lies the answer for their market decline. Exmark makes a top notch mower with a cut that rivals any other machine. The prices have gone up, but you also get more mower than you did 10 years ago. The biggest reason for the decline in our area has been dealer related. They are all still there, but at one time they were pushing exmarks at every sale. Today those same dealers are lining up scags. They will offer exmark upon request, but even go as far as bad mouthing the machines. The reason, price and margins. Simply put scag sales put more money in the dealer pockets unit for unit. I personally think it's bull. We've had scags and after my last experience I will never again. Scag tough my foot, not for us. Believe what you want it's all politics, perks, and margins.
Scag makes a great product. Even the best mowers out there will have issues.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

shovelracer,we're in the same area(more or less)I see far more Exmarks than any other mower,SCAG and Walker are second.If it's not getting to far off track,what problems did you have with your SCAG and what are you using now?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just sold a Scag with over 3000 hours. I have operated 5000+ hour Scag TT's. They are one of the best built mowers IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 52" Exmark Lazer z w kawi 27hp. 6 years old w/2200 hours Still has all original "sealed" bearings except 1 spindle. Cranks immediately every time. Just now starting to seep from rear crank seal but should be an easy fix. I see another 5 years of service easy. Great traction on hills.

First mower was a Dixie "poc" chopper which was in the shop 7 times in the first 6 months before finally trading to my current exmark. 2 blown head gaskets, Bad camshaft, broken Deck linkage x2, starter problems x 3. Deck kept throwing belts, and 2 deck spindles at 300 hours. Garbage!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've got 2-60" lazer Z, 2-48" TT, 1-36" Metro. With the Metro and 1 TT being 1 year or less old. We've also got a couple Kubotas. One reason we've always stuck with Exmark has been our dealer. They have stood behind all their products (Exmark, Toro, Gravely, CC, Stihl, Echo, Robin, Honda...) and that makes a big difference.

I will say, yes, It's sometimes a pain to double cut in wet grass, but raising the deck up a notch on the second pass does away with a lot of that. I'd like to try a Scag, but there's not a dealer according to their site, for 100 miles from here. I think Exmark is getting up there in price, but for now, I'm willing to pay a little extra to have great support after the sale.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHMAN View Post
shovelracer,we're in the same area(more or less)I see far more Exmarks than any other mower,SCAG and Walker are second.If it's not getting to far off track,what problems did you have with your SCAG and what are you using now?
Our machines now are all toro and exmark. I used to have a late 90's 52 WB and the thing was tough as nails. A few years ago I let the dealer sell me a 61 TT 29 Kaw DFI when they first came out. All I have to say is that mower was the biggest piece of garbage I ever put my eyes on. Heavy, bulky, poorly assembled, etc. Right from day one we had issues with assembly problems from spindles to pulleys to wheels. Not all of it was dealer assembler related. The deck top was thin and not reenforced properly and ultimately led to spindle misalignment from impacts that any red mower had shrugged off. The motor had all sorts of issues, particularly underpowered, loped, and ran poorly in cold weather. The cut took months of tweaking to get acceptable till the deck went south. Then I'll add that the damn thing was so heavy it would get stuck at least once a month. Never had an issue with any others. To the scags defense it was comfortable, looked good, and eventually left a nice cut/stripe however broken mowers do not make money.

I also bought a 2009 Grandstand which everyone knows was a huge lemon. That mower was equally as bad, but still I would fit an entire fleet with those before I buy another orange machine. I also realize everyone has their preference and area and dealer support influences it. For us even though red machine support has been weakened by orange dealer incentives, red still works best for us.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Our machines now are all toro and exmark. I used to have a late 90's 52 WB and the thing was tough as nails. A few years ago I let the dealer sell me a 61 TT 29 Kaw DFI when they first came out. All I have to say is that mower was the biggest piece of garbage I ever put my eyes on. Heavy, bulky, poorly assembled, etc. Right from day one we had issues with assembly problems from spindles to pulleys to wheels. Not all of it was dealer assembler related. The deck top was thin and not reenforced properly and ultimately led to spindle misalignment from impacts that any red mower had shrugged off. The motor had all sorts of issues, particularly underpowered, loped, and ran poorly in cold weather. The cut took months of tweaking to get acceptable till the deck went south. Then I'll add that the damn thing was so heavy it would get stuck at least once a month. Never had an issue with any others. To the scags defense it was comfortable, looked good, and eventually left a nice cut/stripe however broken mowers do not make money.

I also bought a 2009 Grandstand which everyone knows was a huge lemon. That mower was equally as bad, but still I would fit an entire fleet with those before I buy another orange machine. I also realize everyone has their preference and area and dealer support influences it. For us even though red machine support has been weakened by orange dealer incentives, red still works best for us.
This is the first time in my 30 years in the lawn business I have heard this about Scag. After running Toro Z Masters and Exmark Lazers for over a decade, I was so impressed with them that I switched. I now own Turf Tigers. Honestly, I've never been huge on the Exmark Lazer. But, to each their own.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

shovelracer,thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only and will only run Exmark. Hands down the best cut money will buy. Don't be fooled by impostors...
Posted via Mobile Device