Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Iv tested both cheetahs and turf tigers and were talking a few hundred lawn cuts worth of testing. They are nice mowers great power unmatched precision handling. Unfortunately they come with those pathetic excuses for a deck and I have tried both advantage and velocity decks they do not come close to the quality of an ultra cut deck.

Now I have been doing this for 25 years and we use to joke with each other when we saw a horribly cut lawn that they must use scags. The sad part is in 25 years iv never been wrong on that, you can tell what cut the lawn just by the cut.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Iv tested both cheetahs and turf tigers and were talking a few hundred lawn cuts worth of testing. They are nice mowers great power unmatched precision handling. Unfortunately they come with those pathetic excuses for a deck and I have tried both advantage and velocity decks they do not come close to the quality of an ultra cut deck.

Now I have been doing this for 25 years and we use to joke with each other when we saw a horribly cut lawn that they must use scags. The sad part is in 25 years iv never been wrong on that, you can tell what cut the lawn just by the cut.
Lawns must be quite different in CT because here in VA that statement is simply not true. In fact, every facet of cutting grass has improved since I switched from the Exmark Lazer to the Turf Tiger. The Scag has improved my productivity because I don't have to double cut nearly as much and the lawns look just as good if not better than before. I think both machines cut very well, top of the industry, when it's dry. But unfortunately I must cut when there is dew on the grass and we all know too well about the Exmark and how poorly they perform with the slightest bit of moisture. With the amount of rain we've had this spring, if I were still running Lazers, I'd be so far behind that I'd be losing jobs. Time IS money, gentlemen, and those Lazers ARE costing YOU money. I KNOW because I ran only Toro and Exmark for the past decade. If you want to pledge undying allegiance to Exmark and the IMAGINED superiority of the Exmark cut, be my guest. Meanwhile, I'll be making money.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

What a joke bucklawn. Scag is hands down the best. Why do you think their slogan is "simply the best?" I'll take a at and mow through dew in one cut and rainy days without a clump, but I can look at a property and tell where an exmark has been. Especially when there are stripes within a stripe (Hispanics) mowing a property. Obviously there are much better cuts from them, but more often than not I see the guys who can't set up their decks properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutLawnCare. View Post
I guess another problem besides the wet cutting is the price. Exmarks are a little pricey
this is a location statement.

in IN exmark and toro are the bottom 2 in price. all the others are more expensive. and not worth the extra money in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I bet 80% of Exmark guys swear by double cutting. They think those who dont double cut are hacks. Little do they know other decks can do it in ONE cut. I have also heard those who mow in wet conditions are hacks. Well guess what? Such decks also cut great in the rain!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree gmlc. If your deck is good and you blades area sharp, then you shouldn't have to mow it twice. If your mower stripes well with one pass and no striping kit, then you have a good mower. If you like your mower it is what it is. Hey, you may cause some ruts or have some brown show through the green, but if you have anywhere close to the amount I properties some do; then you simply can't let a rainy day slow you down. I prefer to save my gas with one cut and time. I like to not get begin on yards too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
I agree gmlc. If your deck is good and you blades area sharp, then you shouldn't have to mow it twice. If your mower stripes well with one pass and no striping kit, then you have a good mower. If you like your mower it is what it is. Hey, you may cause some ruts or have some brown show through the green, but if you have anywhere close to the amount I properties some do; then you simply can't let a rainy day slow you down. I prefer to save my gas with one cut and time. I like to not get begin on yards too.
Posted via Mobile Device
We mow in the rain. But I will call it a day when the ground gets soft enough to rut. I may only double cut 3-4 times per year and my properties look amazing. But in the end a full schedule means I dont have much wiggle room for down time...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel the same gmlc. How did you quote using your phone? Ah, I'll look it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
I feel the same gmlc. How did you quote using your phone? Ah, I'll look it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hit the reply in the message you are talking to
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Hit the reply in the message you are talking to
Posted via Mobile Device
Test test. Thanks Jim
Posted via Mobile Device