Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Thought about this thread today as I went by a crew cutting a small park at about 10:00am. Guy on a wb tt blowing first pass in the road. Two other guys on top end ztrs blowing out clumps everywhere. I knew exmarks clump but my god really!! It wasn't even that wet or tall. I know for a fact this crew underbid a guy who did good work with scags. I might go by tomorrow just to see what it looks like. I'm hoping they tried to double or triple cut it. Also they dont even do a 3 point turn just push 1 lever one way and pull the other one the other way. Tear it up!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I only use 3 point turns when it's wet, soft or thin turf.

otherwise it's zero turns and no tear up.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post
I only use 3 point turns when it's wet, soft or thin turf.

otherwise it's zero turns and no tear up.
Same here with the vantages and the cheetah I demoed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Thought about this thread today as I went by a crew cutting a small park at about 10:00am. Guy on a wb tt blowing first pass in the road. Two other guys on top end ztrs blowing out clumps everywhere. I knew exmarks clump but my god really!! It wasn't even that wet or tall. I know for a fact this crew underbid a guy who did good work with scags. I might go by tomorrow just to see what it looks like. I'm hoping they tried to double or triple cut it. Also they dont even do a 3 point turn just push 1 lever one way and pull the other one the other way. Tear it up!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I work today had to. Rained all morning we got 4'' of rain Stop at 1pm and at 3 hit my first job and I seen a LCO mowing with a Exmark and a Tiger was clumping bad.
I thought about it I had get some mowing done going rain all week So I thought be good time to mow tall I had no clumps The LCO blowed there pass next to my lawn in my lawn I walk over jump there case.
Once I got there clippings back in there lawn I notice they was cutting at least 2'' maybe shorter compared to my lawn I was at 3.5''. They was trying cut wet fescue to short.

Think if a person has no sense about wet conditions any mower will clump

On the 3 point turns I have to jump my guys a lot they get lazy and wont do them
Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I would be willing to bet that they never clean their decks either, based on your assessment of how they are mowing... so there could be something to the "extra" clumping coming from the deck due to negligence.
100 percent true!! Just made me think of this thread that's all. Too many factors go into when mowing wet grass. Just riding by really doesn't tell you anything about a how a deck cuts. Could be lack of maintence, operator, or someone agreeing to bi weekly cuts when it should be every week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All this talk about exmark clumping in the rain is very exaggerated. I cut 3 lawns in the rain today and it cut fine. A couple of clumps but no need for double cutting. One lawn was a little under 1/2 acre and there were 4 clumps and it was a steady rain. Now the old exmark trivantage deck was horrid in the rain or when it was wet out so I guess that kind of stuck with the name exmark. The reason I counted was I remembered this thread.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
All this talk about exmark clumping in the rain is very exaggerated. I cut 3 lawns in the rain today and it cut fine. A couple of clumps but no need for double cutting. One lawn was a little under 1/2 acre and there were 4 clumps and it was a steady rain. Now the old exmark trivantage deck was horrid in the rain or when it was wet out so I guess that kind of stuck with the name exmark. The reason I counted was I remembered this thread.
I have the old Trivantage deck on my 1995 Lazer and it cuts wet grass better than the newest Ultra Cut I demoed last year. You might be thinking of the Triton deck, I heard their was a lot of problems with that deck.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No the trivantage was terrible for me, cut good dry but when it was wet I had to stop at the end of each pass, shut the blades off and let the grass fall out. I guess it all depends what kind of grass you are cutting.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
No the trivantage was terrible for me, cut good dry but when it was wet I had to stop at the end of each pass, shut the blades off and let the grass fall out. I guess it all depends what kind of grass you are cutting.
Yeah you're probably right about the grass type.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

How was the Trivantage deck? What were the pros and cons that you have noticed or were known for?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i can't believe anyone would even think about double cutting ever. you guys would be out of business down here. are you gonna double cut a 3 acre yard? that's alot of wasted time and fuel and wear and tear on your equipment.