Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
yardguy29 yardguy29 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Thought about this thread today as I went by a crew cutting a small park at about 10:00am. Guy on a wb tt blowing first pass in the road. Two other guys on top end ztrs blowing out clumps everywhere. I knew exmarks clump but my god really!! It wasn't even that wet or tall. I know for a fact this crew underbid a guy who did good work with scags. I might go by tomorrow just to see what it looks like. I'm hoping they tried to double or triple cut it. Also they dont even do a 3 point turn just push 1 lever one way and pull the other one the other way. Tear it up!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I only use 3 point turns when it's wet, soft or thin turf.

otherwise it's zero turns and no tear up.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy29 View Post
I only use 3 point turns when it's wet, soft or thin turf.

otherwise it's zero turns and no tear up.
Same here with the vantages and the cheetah I demoed
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Thought about this thread today as I went by a crew cutting a small park at about 10:00am. Guy on a wb tt blowing first pass in the road. Two other guys on top end ztrs blowing out clumps everywhere. I knew exmarks clump but my god really!! It wasn't even that wet or tall. I know for a fact this crew underbid a guy who did good work with scags. I might go by tomorrow just to see what it looks like. I'm hoping they tried to double or triple cut it. Also they dont even do a 3 point turn just push 1 lever one way and pull the other one the other way. Tear it up!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I work today had to. Rained all morning we got 4'' of rain Stop at 1pm and at 3 hit my first job and I seen a LCO mowing with a Exmark and a Tiger was clumping bad.
I thought about it I had get some mowing done going rain all week So I thought be good time to mow tall I had no clumps The LCO blowed there pass next to my lawn in my lawn I walk over jump there case.
Once I got there clippings back in there lawn I notice they was cutting at least 2'' maybe shorter compared to my lawn I was at 3.5''. They was trying cut wet fescue to short.

Think if a person has no sense about wet conditions any mower will clump

On the 3 point turns I have to jump my guys a lot they get lazy and wont do them
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 AM
caseysmowing caseysmowing is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staunton VA
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I would be willing to bet that they never clean their decks either, based on your assessment of how they are mowing... so there could be something to the "extra" clumping coming from the deck due to negligence.
100 percent true!! Just made me think of this thread that's all. Too many factors go into when mowing wet grass. Just riding by really doesn't tell you anything about a how a deck cuts. Could be lack of maintence, operator, or someone agreeing to bi weekly cuts when it should be every week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
chesterlawn's Avatar
chesterlawn chesterlawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: s.e. pa.
Posts: 646
All this talk about exmark clumping in the rain is very exaggerated. I cut 3 lawns in the rain today and it cut fine. A couple of clumps but no need for double cutting. One lawn was a little under 1/2 acre and there were 4 clumps and it was a steady rain. Now the old exmark trivantage deck was horrid in the rain or when it was wet out so I guess that kind of stuck with the name exmark. The reason I counted was I remembered this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
All this talk about exmark clumping in the rain is very exaggerated. I cut 3 lawns in the rain today and it cut fine. A couple of clumps but no need for double cutting. One lawn was a little under 1/2 acre and there were 4 clumps and it was a steady rain. Now the old exmark trivantage deck was horrid in the rain or when it was wet out so I guess that kind of stuck with the name exmark. The reason I counted was I remembered this thread.
I have the old Trivantage deck on my 1995 Lazer and it cuts wet grass better than the newest Ultra Cut I demoed last year. You might be thinking of the Triton deck, I heard their was a lot of problems with that deck.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM
chesterlawn's Avatar
chesterlawn chesterlawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: s.e. pa.
Posts: 646
No the trivantage was terrible for me, cut good dry but when it was wet I had to stop at the end of each pass, shut the blades off and let the grass fall out. I guess it all depends what kind of grass you are cutting.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
No the trivantage was terrible for me, cut good dry but when it was wet I had to stop at the end of each pass, shut the blades off and let the grass fall out. I guess it all depends what kind of grass you are cutting.
Yeah you're probably right about the grass type.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
LifeBack Lawns's Avatar
LifeBack Lawns LifeBack Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 216
How was the Trivantage deck? What were the pros and cons that you have noticed or were known for?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,319
i can't believe anyone would even think about double cutting ever. you guys would be out of business down here. are you gonna double cut a 3 acre yard? that's alot of wasted time and fuel and wear and tear on your equipment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.07687 seconds with 7 queries