Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Which mower????

Have always ran Dixie Choppers and I looking at going with a new mower here real soon. I can't deicided between the Gravely Pro-Turn 60" with the 31 hp Kaw or go with the kubota diesel. I either want the Gravely with one of those 2 motor options or the ZD326. What are your thoughts on these 3 different mowers? Been waiting to demo the new pro-turn for about 2 weeks now but have yet to get one.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Decisions decisions

Well I got to demo the Gravely 460. I have to say I think I am going to be going with the 460 as my next mower!! Very smooth and great cut quality. Anyone running the diesel 460?? The 31 hp kaw seems to be a thirsty motor from what little I have gotten to use it since I picked it up to demo (rain past few days and in the forecast for the next 2 days). The 31 hp has plenty of power but wondering if spending the extra now on the diesel is worth it in the savings on fuel other time.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I must say, I have a zd326 and I love the mower.but I am itching to try a new gravely proturn as well. They sound like great mowers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out GMLC's thread on the pro turn 460 and his other on the new X Factor 2 mowing deck! Gravely's a great company! As for Kubota I feel Id need to have commercial acounts to have to get a big ass diesel.
Old 7x14 open equipment trailer
5x8 Texas trailers utility trailer (soon to have racks!)
Echo srm 225 Trimmer
Echo pas w/edger att.
Echo pb500h
A tube of grease and some gas!
Still wishin for that Scag Wildcat!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Kubota and for large commercial accounts it was great. For small accounts which you had to maneuver or turn around a lot they tend to do a lot of turf damage because they are so dang heavy. They are a great machine but they weigh a ton. It would depend on you accounts on what machine I would get. My ZD331 burned about .75gph the 460 I demoed used about 1.5gph but the 460 is also quicker and easier to move around. The Kubota feels slow and cumbersome in comparison. Demo both and see which fits your needs and wants the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INlawncare View Post
Well I got to demo the Gravely 460. I have to say I think I am going to be going with the 460 as my next mower!! Very smooth and great cut quality. Anyone running the diesel 460?? The 31 hp kaw seems to be a thirsty motor from what little I have gotten to use it since I picked it up to demo (rain past few days and in the forecast for the next 2 days). The 31 hp has plenty of power but wondering if spending the extra now on the diesel is worth it in the savings on fuel other time.
Gravely makes a nice machine!! I have a 452 and love it. If you do get a 460 with the Kubota diesel please post a review with pics. That combination would be awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower

I am going to hopefully mow all day tomorrow once this rain is finally gone! I have always been a diesel guy (all trucks i have owned are diesel) and the fuel consumption is a lot better by far. To upgrade to the diesel on the pro-turn its almost 3000 more. And for me to make that up in fuel cost would take at least two years. I am thinking the 460 with the 31hp Kawasaki is the way I am probably going to go. I don't even want to step foot back on my Dixie after using the pro turn on just 4 of my lawns....haha. I was looking at all the pro turn 460s at my dealer and none of them seemed to have the adjustable baffles on them, doesn't that mean they are the XF1 decks? I am going to do some more testing tomorrow but as of right now the 460 is probably going to be my next mower for sure. But I def want the XF2 when I get it. Is anyone else running the 31hp on theirs? good motors? Not too many people around here are running them. Thanks guys for all your help!