Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hedge trimming the easy way?

Ok folks, here is the discussion... I've seen this being done a couple times by bigger outfits and small ones as well. Instead of gas trimmers, a small generator on wheels and electric trimmer is used.. I have never really considered it but when doing hours(days) of hedge trimming, I bet this would make it easier. I know that you have the cord to deal with but doesnt the fact that the trimmers are 50% lighter make up for it? Now, we all think of using electric trimmers as kind of scrubbish right? Not if you have your own generator and some really nice professional electric trimmers.... What do you guys think?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hedge trimming the easy way?

No matter what I would think gas trimmers would always be more powerful

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generator would use more fuel than a gas trimmer.

Gas trimmer twice as fast as electric.

PIA to haul a generator and cords around everyday.

If you want to use electric because they are lighter plug them into customers outlet. Then all you have to haul is the cords.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Ok folks, here is the discussion... I've seen this being done a couple times by bigger outfits and small ones as well. Instead of gas trimmers, a small generator on wheels and electric trimmer is used.. I have never really considered it but when doing hours(days) of hedge trimming, I bet this would make it easier. I know that you have the cord to deal with but doesnt the fact that the trimmers are 50% lighter make up for it? Now, we all think of using electric trimmers as kind of scrubbish right? Not if you have your own generator and some really nice professional electric trimmers.... What do you guys think?

50% lighter means not heavy duty or for daily use. I've had plenty of elderly clients ask if I wanted to use their electric hedgers. I laugh and say nooooo way.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use battery powered hedge trimmers. light as a feather and doesn't wear you down. there are good ones out there made by stihl and others these days. i use craftsman since i already had 4 of the batteries they use to power them. i already had the drill, impact wrench, and so forth. 19.2v batteries. use lithium ion batteries instead of nicad and they are at full power the whole time until they go dead. each battery lasts about 30-45min of trimming. i don't do a ton of trimming so it works fine for me. i once did a 3hr 50 shrub trimming job with it though. only went through 3 batteries doing that big job.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My luck Id cut the cord and burn the generator and clippers up.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i use battery powered hedge trimmers. light as a feather and doesn't wear you down. there are good ones out there made by stihl and others these days. i use craftsman since i already had 4 of the batteries they use to power them. i already had the drill, impact wrench, and so forth. 19.2v batteries. use lithium ion batteries instead of nicad and they are at full power the whole time until they go dead. each battery lasts about 30-45min of trimming. i don't do a ton of trimming so it works fine for me. i once did a 3hr 50 shrub trimming job with it though. only went through 3 batteries doing that big job.
Battery might be ok. Id try one but Im totally out of equiptment money
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Believe me, I love the non hassle of gas... and somebody made a great point about the generator using more fuel. Having a cord really stinks as well... Here's my thing... when I am trimming hedges, I usually grab the 40 in. single sided because they feel lighter and less cumbersome to me. I can just picture whipping through hedges with light as a feather electrics.. Battery is very interesting but I obviosly worry about them holding up because of the amount of trimming that I do.... This is really interesting though... thanks for all the replies guys..
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive been running 30" single sided Kawasaki and stihl kimbi atachment trimmers for years. No way Id ever deal with a cord, Id consider a battery powered unit for "touchups" but have some manual sissor type trimmer for that.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you do alot of trimming you would prolly need to look at the stihl version of battery powered trimmers. 40v lithium ion. that is probably the best out there as far as battery powered stuff right now. greenworks has a 40v battery system as well. they sale them at lowes. i would think the stihl might be the best to use for commercial use though.

like i said i dont' do much hedge trimming. i've only done 1 job this year. it was about 10 shrubs. i don't have a need to buy anything more since i don't do much of that type of work.

Last edited by weeze; 04-27-2013 at 03:31 PM.