Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

New Direction...

OK Guys (and Girls), I have experienced over the last 2 to 3 years that after being in business now for just over 8 years that even with the plunge in the economy and all the fly by night so called "lawn Companies" that with detail and TONS of missed baseball games and special events of my children, that ive built my company from 44 residential homes to over 240 residential and only 4 commercial properties. I mainly concentrate on HOA's even though they can be a pain in the ass, but they are similar to commercial accts in many ways if you perform good work you don't hear much bit***ng. Needless to say the way my schedule is today is that I have Mondays set up to perform all of my misc accts. 6 men 2 crews split the area we work (30 mile area) Tuesdays we edge, deweed, misc work that needs attended to. No mowing unless rain is forecasted day before or day after. WED THURS FRI we mow 230 properties or 5 HOA's My crew of 6 men including my working supervisor work already 10-12 hour days except for Tuesdays unless we have a special project. Right now im running 2 Hustler Xones 60", 1 wright 52" 1 wright 36" and I have a backup husstler super Z 60". Basically four mowers going and two trimmers. I am contemplating purchasing another mower. (60" Toro commercial 240 hrs) But I already have a good 60" in my hustler as a backup (plus if I lose a mower I have a 52" hustler at my house they could use as another back up. The hourse are less than 300 on the Xones, the wrights are around 500 and the super z is close to 1500. As of now im averaging 450-500 hrs a summer (28 weeks). So you have it, my men are working 50 hours a week plus weekend landscaping work that ive been swamped thanks to the BBB. 4 mowers in action and two back up. If and when I purchase the toro I will have another 60". With my current job I am unable to run my crews so I have a job leader who is in his late 30's and has already had a heart attack (last winter) and is not in the greatest health. Lately it seems he is ENTIRELY stressed to the point hes not thinking clearly. The HOA's absolutely LOVE him. Best PR man hands down, but lacks by forgetting things, running back and forth to much, not taking shortest routes between jobs, and needs to do better on equipment maintenance. But im trying to be cool because of what hes been through. My MAIN problem is I know I want this business to grow but without me quitting my job I would have to depend more on my supervisor which just cant happen at this point. I want to open up the doors and take on some more landscaping work and definitely some more commercial mowing. I need some advice from anyone whose ever dealt with something similar in nature. Im willing to hire but what should I expect to pay for someone to just take the rains and be the man without pissing off my current supervisor? Thanks everyone
2008 New Holland Skid Steer with Tracks and Trailer
2-18' Landscape Trailers
Hustler 60" Super Z
Hustler 52" Mini Z with accelerator
Exmark Metro 32" Walk Behind
Lawn Boy and Toro 21" Mowers
4 Stihl weed trimmers
3 Stihl backpack blowers
2 Stihl hedge trimmers
Muiltiple Misc. Power Equipment

Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, what's your full time job?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking forward to this post.................
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The direction Id take is to become profitable.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

From the sounds of it, your current supervisor is not meeting your expectations and in some ways is costing you money. You say you want to expand a bit farther yet this guy is already at the point of snapping. In my opinion it's time to look for a new supervisor and cut your loses with the old one. You're running a business to make money and if someone you employ is holding your business back it's time to make a change. Don't worry about pissing the guy off, it's a business and needs to be thought of as such.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hire a mechanic that comes in 1-2 days a week, get him a GPS, and hire a do boy/Gopher that comes in an hour before everybody else and makes sure the trucks are loaded, everything is gased, and ready to go. I have done this and has saved som much time. My guys are getting to the job sites so much faster, and the machines are running much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Option 2 is to make him a sales guy/project manager/quality control.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What I don't get is how you got to be where you are now but this situation stumps you. Also how you found so much work with a full time job. One would think you would be better off working on your business and not in someone else's. Something with this thread doesn't seem right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bln View Post
Hire a mechanic that comes in 1-2 days a week, get him a GPS, and hire a do boy/Gopher that comes in an hour before everybody else and makes sure the trucks are loaded, everything is gased, and ready to go. I have done this and has saved som much time. My guys are getting to the job sites so much faster, and the machines are running much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Man that would be nice. Don't know how realistic it would be for me to find someone who'd come in at 6:00 a.m. and work for an hour but the thought sure is nice. I guess theoretically he could come in the evening and have stuff ready for the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Im a Manager of Public Works in the City outside of where I live. Its called "Insurance" 3 kids, gotta have it !
Posted via Mobile Device