Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well gosh, in ways I think it could be nice if every customer who can't afford my services would just come right out and say it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope. If she doesn't want to help herself by taking you up on your offer to remove stuff then no. Even if you did haul everything off, give it 6 months and it'll be right back to looking bad. Not worth the time, now...if she would change her living style and clean up some, then it might be worth it...but It looks like a waste of time tbh.

This is my opinion btw, do whatever you think is right. They say 'what goes around comes around' so hell maybe if you help her now, you'll win the lottery. Ha, nice to think that anyways

Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I've been doing that. I can easily see how vines would take over the world if we didn't exist. It's amazing the amount of growth after 2 weeks. The middle school kids (school across street) kicked her fenced gate and broke it, and she just left it. It's putting me in a weird position. I literally don't have the time required to fix that place. It's very sad. I do feel a little guilty just taking the 25 for the front. Maybe her neighbors should help, i don't know. I don't think i've encountered someone who just doesn't give a flip like this woman. In the front , i can't cut the low branches on the magnolia and cypress, because she wants privacy, and it's extremely hard to cut. I just don't know if i should be the answer to her problems. She was telling me how she used to clean the back in a few minutes, but the same stuff is in the same place, years later, unless i move it. She did get a new car, so she's not hurting too bad. Tough situation.
Since you added this post, you need to have a talk with her and/or drop her!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
Nope. If she doesn't want to help herself by taking you up on your offer to remove stuff then no. Even if you did haul everything off, give it 6 months and it'll be right back to looking bad. Not worth the time, now...if she would change her living style and clean up some, then it might be worth it...but It looks like a waste of time tbh.

This is my opinion btw, do whatever you think is right. They say 'what goes around comes around' so hell maybe if you help her now, you'll win the lottery. Ha, nice to think that anyways
There has been a few people on here, that have been added to their customers wills
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love when people give the I can't afford much attitude. Doesn't bother me anymore because I just charge what I know I need to charge. Maybe if they stopped buying new cars every 5 years they could afford a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a little sticky. I can't help but be concerned, because when i first got her, she wasn't this bad. I think she belongs to some divorced seniors group, and i have 2 of her friends as customers (good ones). I guess that she'll have to work it out; i'm not her son. Someone mentioned above that people can't expect to live in a home like they did when they were young. She needs an apartment, but she may owe too much on the house. After reading some replies, i don't think i'll feel too bad about not stepping in. Right now, keeping a distance works for me. I'd like to help, but something tells me it wouldn't end.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
This woman can only afford her front yard (25) every 2 weeks. I heard her talk about depression a couple times. She won't throw away old stuff which makes it hard to clean her back area: old bird cages, broken statues, pots, iron gates, etc. I do a little bit each time, because i feel bad for her. She's about 70. The house needs alot of maintenance, and i'm starting to get the feeling that she might be working me. I'm not sure. It requires alot more attention than i can do in increments every 2 weeks. The place is starting to look bad/unkept/overgrown on sides. My pics are bad, but you may see overflowing gutters, old pots, weeds in patio furniture, and on house. Small trees growing through patio, fence falling down. How would you handle it. Do nothing, not get involved, and collect 25 for front? Do a little each time, so it doesn't get out of hand? Extend yourself, and try to go there on your time off. Part of me says that it's not my problem - The other part of me says to not get involved.
If that's the case then you answered your question. Tell her you can't service the property anymore. I know I wouldn't mess with a place that looked like that unless they were serious about renovation work.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
It's a little sticky. I can't help but be concerned, because when i first got her, she wasn't this bad. I think she belongs to some divorced seniors group, and i have 2 of her friends as customers (good ones). I guess that she'll have to work it out; i'm not her son. Someone mentioned above that people can't expect to live in a home like they did when they were young. She needs an apartment, but she may owe too much on the house. After reading some replies, i don't think i'll feel too bad about not stepping in. Right now, keeping a distance works for me. I'd like to help, but something tells me it wouldn't end.
I think you should help her, as long as she is paying you for your time. If not then why on this god loving earth would you entertain the thought of doing work for free?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

theres nothing wrong with helping people or doing charity, but this is different. sounds like this woman isn't willing to help herself. if she wants to live that way you shouldn't feel guilty about not donating your time to her "problem'. and on top of that mowing or servicing an unkempt property like that (if you're not doing a total renovation) reflects poorly on your business.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[B. She did get a new car, so she's not hurting too bad. Tough situation.][/B]

Tough, No. Obviously she has the $ but does not want to spend or does not care if property is a mess. Neither should you care. I'd really like to know why all this bothers you in the first place? There are plenty of people just like her. You cannot change her. Accept that & move on.

Were she dirt poor, I'd have no prob helping her out. Thats not the case here.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair