Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know, it doesn't take a ton of money to keep a property from looking like a junkyard, but it does require that you give a crap.

Once things get so far gone most people run out of give-a-crap.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

man..That really is a tough call. If your like I think you are.. Your heart is bigger than most and that is a good thing, but it also can be a avenue to be taken advantage of. see it all the time at our Church. I guess I can only say is follow your heart- keep your focus on the fact that you are a business and not a charity run organization. I truly think a little extra helping hand is fine if it fits right with you.. but don't let the lady lay the 'feel sorry for me' attitude control what you do for her.. but rather do what you think will help her and not distrupt your day to much. Not sure on her, but I have met some people who are 'experts' on feeding on your feelings. Once they know you care about them, they take it one more step farther to another. I would be VERY concerned about that pool! I would not let that go as her fence is deteriated/broke and no protection to keep a small child from looking at the tadpoles and slipping in. Let alone that the alge and bacteria looks to be of high level there. It really is her business, but I think we have as humans a responability to try to help a dangerous situation and especually if a Childs life might be at risk. I'd suggest to her to drain it and keep a sump pump or something in it. I Hope you get this all figured out. I do commend you on your kindness- a rarity these days. Gene

Last edited by mowisme; 07-09-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right on with your assessment. "Woe is me" game is used up. She needs to show initiative. The pool has something in it; tadpoles and more. I see swirls, but can't really see too clearly, because they swim off. This is the opposite of open cutting. I did a little today. Cut a tree out of the patio, and she agreed to let me throw away broken pots. It's a start. Tired of the "depression" talk. She told me the same story 5 times. If what i'm doing isn't good enough, i may have to get rid of her, but i know she will pay through the nose with anyone she hires. She really is "alone in the world", that's why i'm still there.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

God Bless You for caring, and wanting to do the right thing. But this may turn into a millstone around your neck.

What if trying to do the right thing, and someone gets hurt on the property. Or the lady herself gets injured. You were not contracted to do the work, and blah blah blah, just takes one person to hang you out to dry.

Where the hell are her family to let her live like this! I have seen this too! It's hard to ignore and not be concerned, but your family comes first.

As others have said, maybe make a phone call to a church or other type of group to go and assist her. Your hearts in the right place, but be cautious.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
You're right on with your assessment. "Woe is me" game is used up. She needs to show initiative. The pool has something in it; tadpoles and more. I see swirls, but can't really see too clearly, because they swim off. This is the opposite of open cutting. I did a little today. Cut a tree out of the patio, and she agreed to let me throw away broken pots. It's a start. Tired of the "depression" talk. She told me the same story 5 times. If what i'm doing isn't good enough, i may have to get rid of her, but i know she will pay through the nose with anyone she hires. She really is "alone in the world", that's why i'm still there.

Probably alone by choice right? Plenty of opportunities out there for elderly citizens to get involved in. People choose to be alone. I still think you should only do the mowing and nothing extra unless she pays you for it. You cannot change her but your sure trying hard to do that. Enough already.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Her daughter told her off, and that's why she says she's depressed.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Report her to Code Enforcement. That will certainly light a fire under her & get that backyard cleaned up quick. Do it on behalf of the tadpoles asap.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
Her daughter told her off, and that's why she says she's depressed.
Excuses are excuses.

This hag has money, just not spending it.

Write out an estimate to clean the place up and drain the pool. After that, drop her like a bad habit.

Yes, we all want to help people out, but some people can't be helped.......

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In most cases a crap lot isn't the result of some simple accident that happened a year or so ago, despite what some would like us to believe, a crap lot is usually the result of a decade or more of straight up neglect and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Nobody has done diddly squat for that yard for 10, 15 maybe 20 or more years...
Nothing, absolutely nothing has been done in ways of positive maintenance.
And now, this lady thinks a half ass effort is going to make it look better?
Dude...

This lot likely hasn't seen a better day since years before the stock market crash that started the Great Recession.

So if you believe that I'd say your odds of striking millions in Vegas are good.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to take this on a little longer. I'm curious to see what she'll do. She says a roofer is going to check the roof, she'll get a wand to keep gutters clean, she wants me to find a carpenter, and she said she'll have a fence in about a week. I'm not fooling with the pool. I'm just going to get vines off of her house, clean the patio, throw away stuff, cut small trees, organize, etc. She seems to think i'm the answer. She wanted to know if i knew someone who will get on her roof. She wanted me to get up there when she was there, after i told her it's too steep for me, and i'm not goin up. I'll have my stuff cleaned up in a few trips. You cannot walk in her garage, it's full of junk. Time will tell. I'll give her this window of opportunity.