Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on hustler x one for mowing 3 acres of residential mowing?
Yes, the x one is too much mower for 3 acres of residential use 2 8.70%
No, the x one would be a great mower for 3 acres of residential use 21 91.30%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I was definitely more efficient with the 54".

I couldnt tell much difference. This one seemed quicker but it also had sharper blades and i think i pushed it a little harder because of that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb9981 View Post
I was definitely more efficient with the 54".

I couldnt tell much difference. This one seemed quicker but it also had sharper blades and i think i pushed it a little harder because of that.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's your difference right there, everything new, slick, and new factory blades. Now, had you been running the same new mower with a 60" deck, it would have taken you a little less time, but if you are like every other home owner I've seen buy a new X-ONE, you honestly hate to see the last strip cut, everyone hates to stop mowing because of enjoying it so much.

I suppose you do have the factory "fusion blades" on your new X-ONE, is that correct?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

your yard isn't 3 acres. it takes 2 1/2- 3hrs to mow 3 acres with a 54" ztr on average in real world conditions.

i'd say your yard is about 1 acre if it took 50min.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

It was taking me 2 hours 15 minutes before mowing with a craftsman 54" garden tractor. I mow with the hustler as fat as it will go and three yard is wider than it deep so there are long runs with little turning around. It definitely saves some time and is a lot more comfortable to ride. I hate getting off of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I think they come standard with the fusion blades. I didn't verify this with the dealer just assumed it had them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb9981 View Post
It was taking me 2 hours 15 minutes before mowing with a craftsman 54" garden tractor. I mow with the hustler as fat as it will go and three yard is wider than it deep so there are long runs with little turning around. It definitely saves some time and is a lot more comfortable to ride. I hate getting off of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The X-ONE is listed as being a 11 mph mower, meaning in all reality, if the grass is of normal size, and taking into account slowing into the 9.5 mph cutting speed due to deck drag, and a littler power taken from the engine to operate the deck.

54" is 4.5' x 9.5 mph x 5280 (ft in one mile) ÷ 43560 (sq ft in 1 ac) = 5.18 ac x 60% efficiency (due to overlap, turning, and trimming), and this puts you at 3.11 ac cut in a 1 hr time frame. You take 3.11 ac and ÷ it by 6 (6-10 min segments in 1 hr), this means you are capable of cutting .52 ac every 10 mins in a perfect scenario.

You said it took you 50 mins to cut your property, this would equate to 2.59 ac cut in that time frame.

I am only giving you an example, say if you were able to average a full 10 mph while cutting, this would equate to cutting 2.73 ac in that same 50 min time frame. Remember, to average 10 mph you must have long reasonably straight runs with very little slow down time, which to accomplish this you must also have less turn-around time.

I personally have cut 3 measured acres, with 12 trim around obstacles in 43 minutes. I was running a 72" Hustler Super Z of which is listed at 16 mph ground speed, and if I was guessing I'd say I was cutting in the 14 mph range maybe 50% of the time. The ground was a little rough in spots, but I was pushing it as hard as possible just to see how fast I could cut the entire 3 ac.

These were long straight runs, I would cut 500' in one direction, turn around and cut back 500' in a perfectly straight line. The reason I know the acreage is because I know the exact length of my poultry houses, and the exact distance between them. I at one time surveyed for a living, and laid everything out for construction, so I am not guessing at the acreage.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a 5 acre yard i could mow blow and trim by myself in an hour and a half on a 52" bad boy lightning. Wide open 13mph stated. It was a smooth yard and awesome grass, it was my favorite yard. I have 3 acres at my home now i mow on a 72" 430d hopper or a 35hp cat diesel bad boy 72". Tried a 54 when we first moved here and it seemed like forever on back yard... i have cut my yard in 37 minutes, but it was miserable in the back yard as it is rougher back there. My neighbor timed me one day so i gave it hell...lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
your yard isn't 3 acres. it takes 2 1/2- 3hrs to mow 3 acres with a 54" ztr on average in real world conditions.

i'd say your yard is about 1 acre if it took 50min.
I can mow 2.5 acres in an hour on a fastrak superduty. I believe his time is correct.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe most have not actually measured the turf areas they mow. So their concept of open acres is off. An acre of grass is about the size of a football field without the end zones, with the end zones its about 1.3 acres. I have mowed 22 acres of grass before. The chart says I should be done in 5-6 hours. Needless to say it takes much longer.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

these guys have no idea what an acre is based off of what i'm hearing in this thread.

you can't mow a yard at 11-13mph unless you are only cutting off 1/2" of grass.

most yards you mow in the 8-9mph range in reality. that's if they are smooth. if they are rough it's even slower.