Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on hustler x one for mowing 3 acres of residential mowing?
Yes, the x one is too much mower for 3 acres of residential use 2 9.52%
No, the x one would be a great mower for 3 acres of residential use 19 90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I believe most have not actually measured the turf areas they mow. So their concept of open acres is off. An acre of grass is about the size of a football field without the end zones, with the end zones its about 1.3 acres. I have mowed 22 acres of grass before. The chart says I should be done in 5-6 hours. Needless to say it takes much longer.....
Posted via Mobile Device
I have measured the area I spoke about, I at one time surveyed for a living, so measuring and calculating was something I was forced to be very accurate with in my job.

I measured every distance with a electronic distance meter (which had the accuracy of + or - .02 of one foot) when laying out my pads and buildings to grow chickens.

I have one area that is 50' wide and 500' long, another area 100' x 500', another 75' x 500', and another 35' x 500'. This equates to .57 ac + 1.15 ac + .86 ac + .40 ac, which comes up to a total mowed area of 2.98 ac in between and around my chicken houses.

I mowed this area while trimming around 3-1000 gallon propane tanks...3-10' x 25' concrete feed bin pads...1-10' x 12' generator building...1-10' x 20' concrete incinerator pad...2-power poles...and 2-guy wires. I basically mow a straight line distance for 500', turn around and mow the same distance back. This is about as easy as it gets, and I mowed the entire area plus trimming in a timed 43 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
these guys have no idea what an acre is based off of what i'm hearing in this thread.

you can't mow a yard at 11-13mph unless you are only cutting off 1/2" of grass.

most yards you mow in the 8-9mph range in reality. that's if they are smooth. if they are rough it's even slower.
I mow grass at full speed with a Hustler Super Z for probably 50% of the time I'm on the mower, don't believe you can't mow grass at 13 mph, I do it all the time, and have actually had people such as yourself come and run my mowers because they did not believe it either, but when they finished, they had become a believer. I hardly ever slow down into the 8 to 10 mph range, unless it is extremely rough, of which I have very little that is really that rough, but some yes.

Last edited by puppypaws; 05-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I have measured the area I spoke about, I at one time surveyed for a living, so measuring and calculating was something I was forced to be very accurate with in my job.

I measured every distance with a electronic distance meter (which had the accuracy of + or - .02 of one foot) when laying out my pads and buildings to grow chickens.

I have one area that is 50' wide and 500' long, another area 100' x 500', another 75' x 500', and another 35' x 500'. This equates to .57 ac + 1.15 ac + .86 ac + .40 ac, which comes up to a total mowed area of 2.98 ac in between and around my chicken houses.

I mowed this area while trimming around 3-1000 gallon propane tanks...3-10' x 25' concrete feed bin pads...1-10' x 12' generator building...1-10' x 20' concrete incinerator pad...2-power poles...and 2-guy wires. I basically mow a straight line distance for 500', turn around and mow the same distance back. This is about as easy as it gets, and I mowed the entire area plus trimming in a timed 43 mins.

I mow grass at full speed with a Hustler Super Z for probably 50% of the time I'm on the mower, don't believe you can't mow grass at 13 mph, I do it all the time, and have actually had people such as yourself come and run my mowers because they did not believe it either, but when they finished, they had become a believer. I hardly ever slow down into the 8 to 10 mph range, unless it is extremely rough, of which I have very little that is really that rough, but some yes.
Puppy, sorry didnt mean to include you with my statement. I have no doubt you can mow 3 acres with 500' straights with your 72" in 43 min. That makes total sense. The other claims are exaggerated IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Puppy, sorry didnt mean to include you with my statement. I have no doubt you can mow 3 acres with 500' straights with your 72" in 43 min. That makes total sense. The other claims are exaggerated IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

I try to never exaggerate anything, and if I'm not sure, I always use the word approximate.

I will say you are right on your statement of most people not having a true idea of the actual sq footage in areas they are mowing.

I can provide a very simple free program that will let anyone physically maneuver their mouse around areas on an aerial photograph that in return calculates the area amount. This program, if you know what you are doing is very accurate, I've checked it against known surveyed acreage and it is amazingly close.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im using a 60" X1 & can mow 3 acres of grass from 1hr 10min up to 1hr 30min, depending on how rough and how many trees to go around etc.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Im using a 60" X1 & can mow 3 acres of grass from 1hr 10min up to 1hr 30min, depending on how rough and how many trees to go around etc.
These numbers make sense to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a registered professional civil engineer. As soon as i get back to work tomorrow i plan to determine my acreage exactly.

Sorry for the trouble. I never attended for this to turn into a debate like this.

I do love this new mower though. Cut is incredible and so much smoother than the old craftsman riding mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Post some pics please!!! I would love to see the new machine as well as the cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb9981 View Post
I'm a registered professional civil engineer. As soon as i get back to work tomorrow i plan to determine my acreage exactly.

Sorry for the trouble. I never attended for this to turn into a debate like this.

I do love this new mower though. Cut is incredible and so much smoother than the old craftsman riding mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Civil engineer, that is great to know, you can determine the sq footage without any problem, and honestly anyone can do it with a good aerial photograph and program that can be used as a planimeter.

I will be interested in knowing the exact size of the area in question once you get it figured out.

This is one that is very simple to use, and actually the one I use to measure the acreage in my farm fields.

Click on hybrid, put your mouse on the map and keep enlarging until you locate your area, then run around it in sections if needed.

I also use my counties GIS maps and locate property by owner name, then take their measuring tool and calculate the acreage.

http://acme.com/planimeter/
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I measured my acreage and its actually 2.1 acres. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb9981 View Post
I measured my acreage and its actually 2.1 acres. Sorry for the confusion.
That is absolutely no problem, you being a civil engineer, I knew you could figure the acreage. Taking 50 minutes tells me you are slowing down for trimming and possibly other reasons more than you realize. In an open area with long runs and no trimming 3 ac is doable in 1 hr, but this is in a perfect cutting world, of which there are not very many.

You will enjoy operating the mower so much, you'll find yourself wanting to stay on the machine longer anyway.