Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Help me pickout my first ZTR mower.

Hey guys this is actually my first post here, but ive been lurking around here for a longggg time. I dont have a huge lot of land (1/2 acre), but am just tired of push mowing. It usually takes me 1.5hrs between trimming and mowing to complete it...plus I live in FL. so im soaking wet in swear when im finished. I wont be using it commercially but will be doing my fathers lawn too (roughly same size as mine). Ive narrowed down my ZTR choices between four mowers and dont want to spend over $3000 out the door.

John Deere Z235 - 42" deck, 20hp B&S mower.
Huster Raptor - 42" deck, 21.5hp kawi motor.
Dixie Chopper Zee 1 - 42" deck, 19.5 B&S intek engine.
Gravely ZT42 - 42" deck...available with 24hp kohler and 21.5hp kawi (not sure which is better).

All these mowers are VERY close in price and I'd be able to afford any one. Just looking for others peoples advice before spending 3k on a mower. Any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Out of those exact models I'd drop the John Deere and the Gravely from the running. Stamped deck, smaller fuel tank, lesser warranty on the Deere, etc.

Between the Dixie and the Hustler...I kind of like the Hustler better, but that's because I've used Hustler machines in the past and had great experiences with them and I'd take the Kawasaki over the B&S Intek. Both the Dixie and the Hustler have fabricated decks, good frames, same size drive and caster tires, 3 year warranties, etc. I like the engine on the Hustler more, the Dixie has a bigger gas tank...just little things at that point.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Deere, Dixie or Gravely

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-17-2014, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Lawn Care View Post
Out of those exact models I'd drop the John Deere and the Gravely from the running. Stamped deck, smaller fuel tank, lesser warranty on the Deere, etc.

Between the Dixie and the Hustler...I kind of like the Hustler better, but that's because I've used Hustler machines in the past and had great experiences with them and I'd take the Kawasaki over the B&S Intek. Both the Dixie and the Hustler have fabricated decks, good frames, same size drive and caster tires, 3 year warranties, etc. I like the engine on the Hustler more, the Dixie has a bigger gas tank...just little things at that point.
Awesome this is the kind of info im looking for. Also is a stamped deck vs fabricated deck a big deal? Whats the advantages of a fabbed deck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The difference is the way the deck is made and the metal thickness used. Stamped decks are "typically" thinner than fabricated decks, and this is true in the case of the Deere. That Deere has a 13ga deck and the Gravely 12ga, compared to the 11ga of the Hustler and the 10ga of the Dixie. Just think of it as extra 'insurance' for you. You and I both know you never intend to hit anything with your deck, but there might be that one time a wasp lands on your face, or you misjudge the distance between a post and your deck side. So it's more the issue of, why take a thinner deck, when a stronger deck is right there among your choices. If the Deere or the Gravely had something amazing that put them miles ahead of the Hustler or the Dixie, I'd say go for it, but they really don't. Now that said, I AM a Gravely fan in the commercial world, but out of these choices, I just personally think the Hustler and Dixie are superior.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Deere, Dixie or Gravely
Why these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Lawn Care View Post
The difference is the way the deck is made and the metal thickness used. Stamped decks are "typically" thinner than fabricated decks, and this is true in the case of the Deere. That Deere has a 13ga deck and the Gravely 12ga, compared to the 11ga of the Hustler and the 10ga of the Dixie. Just think of it as extra 'insurance' for you. You and I both know you never intend to hit anything with your deck, but there might be that one time a wasp lands on your face, or you misjudge the distance between a post and your deck side. So it's more the issue of, why take a thinner deck, when a stronger deck is right there among your choices. If the Deere or the Gravely had something amazing that put them miles ahead of the Hustler or the Dixie, I'd say go for it, but they really don't. Now that said, I AM a Gravely fan in the commercial world, but out of these choices, I just personally think the Hustler and Dixie are superior.
How do you feel about the Briggs Intek 19.5hp offered on the dixie vs the kawi motor offered on the hustler?

Also is there any difference in cut quality in the fabricated decks and stamped decks?

On some of the videos on youtube Deere claims they're cut on the Z235 is better versus the competition. Is this just a marketing scam?
Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I weed eat for a couple guys with Deere resi and they cut very nice so do the Dixie and Gravely's. They have the best support in the biz from my experience.

Either way your buying a resi unit the deck shells and trans will all be lower qualities.

Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I can tell you some folks feel that stamped decks provide a better mulching cut due to the metal being bent in certain ways. Other folks feel the fabricated decks have way more vacuum due to typically being deeper. I've never personally cut with those residential models so I can't say one way or another if one cut beats the other. I straight up prefer the Kawasaki over that Briggs though.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look best thing you can do is go test each of the units you mention and cut with them also pay close attention for shady dealers. Whatever suits you right then get it nothing said on here can really provide you to buy a unit everyone has their favorites.

To Coral - my Deere 7 Iron Pro is stamped and is best cutting deck I have ever used never misses a blade of grass, tall, wet, dry bring it.

fab decks have 10x more stick points for dirt and grass build up inside them.

I clean my Deere deck with water hose after days end 1x

My Gravely is fab deck I clean it like 10x a day with no telling how much waste stuck in corners scrape, scrape, and scrape, then wash when I get home.

Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For an acre or so, Id have to say Hustler with the Kawasaki engine. Excellent customer service from Hustler if you should need it.
Choosing a good dealer means everything also.
Posted via Mobile Device