Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need Trimmer recomendation

I'm a solo op. I have a Stihl FS90 trimmer that I bought new last year. Works great. My problem is that my dad (who is retired) likes to come along on me most days to help me out. He only wants to do the weed wacking, has no interest in running a mower (which would be easier on him). So anyway, he's been using the FS90 and uses the shoulder strap. But I can tell it wears on him after the whole day. Stihls website says it's about 12 pounds. I'd like to get a lighter trimmer for him to run but I want to stick with stihl, although I'm not dead set on one. All my other handhelds are stihl and have great dealer support. Besides, I like my stuff to match. The FS70 is only a pound lighter and that's the smallest one listed for commercial use. So that doesnt make much sense really.

The home owner model 45 is listed at 9 pounds. I might check in to to one of those at the dealer when I'm up there next. Anyone have anything to say about that one? My only concern is running a home owner series on a weekly basis. To be honest, I'm at about 20 weekly accounts and I bang them out in two days. So it wouldnt be getting used daily, but that time would still add up in a hurry. What say you guys?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the FS100RX and love it. Its much lighter than the FS90R in my opinion. Has tons of power as well but it's about the same as the FS70R.

The Redmax TR2350S is 9.5lbs without cutting equipment from what their website says so I'd say maybe 9.8 to 10lbs with a cutting head full of line.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like small said, fs100rx if you want to stay with stihl. Otherwise, to my knowledge husky has the lightest trimmer right now with the 323L. I used to run 100rx's at my old job and currently run fs90rs that came with my new company. I long for the 100rx's, there is that much of a difference in weight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husky 323L or 326L, right at 9 pounds if I'm not mistaken.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need Trimmer recomendation

I know a guy that mows 30 a week buys the 200$ stihl weeeaters says they last him two seasons but likes the weight
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
I'm a solo op. I have a Stihl FS90 trimmer that I bought new last year. Works great. My problem is that my dad (who is retired) likes to come along on me most days to help me out. He only wants to do the weed wacking, has no interest in running a mower (which would be easier on him). So anyway, he's been using the FS90 and uses the shoulder strap. But I can tell it wears on him after the whole day. Stihls website says it's about 12 pounds. I'd like to get a lighter trimmer for him to run but I want to stick with stihl, although I'm not dead set on one. All my other handhelds are stihl and have great dealer support. Besides, I like my stuff to match. The FS70 is only a pound lighter and that's the smallest one listed for commercial use. So that doesnt make much sense really.

The home owner model 45 is listed at 9 pounds. I might check in to to one of those at the dealer when I'm up there next. Anyone have anything to say about that one? My only concern is running a home owner series on a weekly basis. To be honest, I'm at about 20 weekly accounts and I bang them out in two days. So it wouldnt be getting used daily, but that time would still add up in a hurry. What say you guys?

Homeowner here. I purchased a Stihl FS55 back in '98. I have trimmed (edged) 1450 feet (hour & fifteen minutes) on a regular bases (every rime I cut grass). This unit has served me very well. No, it no longer starts on the first pull, but it always starts. It feels as though it could go for a couple more years. This unit may very well be what you are looking for.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Husky 323L or 326L, right at 9 pounds if I'm not mistaken.
+1 on the Husky.
I've got the Stihl FS 90 and the Husky. Never use the Stihl any more.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Husky 323L and you and your dad will be thankful. I own an FS90R and I really do like it, but it is now my machine for other uses such as edging, hedging etc. I run a Husky 223L for everyday trimming. The 323 is the same weight as the 223 (9 lbs), but has 20% more power and a solid drive shaft. I run a 223 instead of a 323 because I won it in a drawing.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Stihl FS-100RX has the 110 engine...so it is a step up in power (1.4 hp) and is 10.8 lbs. Otherwise, the Husky 326 is the lightest commercial trimmer out there at 9 lbs while still sporting 1.2 hp.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a similar scenario to the OP. My 66 year old Grandpa helps me with all the trimming/weedeating(hillbilly term). I run FS-90s and they are too heavy for him. I bought him one of those FS-70RCs and he loves it. Its very light and it has the power for the thick stuff, plus it has the Easy2start system. The only downside is it uses a tank of gas quicker than the FS-90. I also have a 11 year old FS-55 I used all though my younger years of mowing, I knocked many hillsides and banks out with that 55. In my humble opinion, you couldn't go wrong with a FS-55 or a FS-70RC for your dad. Hope this helps
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers