Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Starter going bad or solenoid on 08 Ferris 32hp briggs?

Its done this in the past, just out of its warranty of course. Now it seems i need to turn the key on and try to crank on and off sometimes 10-12 times before the starter actually will spin.

When you turn the key to crank the engine, it just clicks, it sounds like the starter teeth are moving inline with the flywheel to spin, but the starter motor never spins or anything. Sometimes it doesnt do this for 3-4 key ons, now its happening much more often than not.

Do i need a whole new starter? And why are some Briggs starters $30-50 and this thing, when you can find it, is $600 on ebay or $250 seems to be the going rate?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Brig...f99328&vxp=mtr
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Starter going bad or solenoid on 08 Ferris 32hp briggs?

Spray some wd40 in the starter where the gear moves out to move the flywheel. Most likely it is either worn out or not lubed

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Had the same issue. Make sure battery is charged, clean battery terminals, and replace your old solenoid. They sell generic Briggs solenoids for about $15 at any hardware store with mower parts. Fixed my mower and starts every time I turn the key.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also check all the connections to the solenoid especially if they are the push-on type.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a low battery and your solenoid is kicking out the starter gear but battery doesnt have enough juice to turn the motor. I had the same problems a million times on a big v-twin motorcycle engine. You'l hear a click-pop, or click-tap metallic sound and thats it.

I doubt you starter is bad unless you crank on it over and over and burnt it out. At most you might have a bad solenoid but I'm guessing low batt., loose terminals, or maybe voltage drop at the switch due to corrosion. I've had everyone of those problems on my bike at one time or another.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Without looking at the wiring diagram I can't tell you this for sure but It's possible that the start circuit does not use a relay and runs through several safety switches before it actually reaches the starter solenoid.

Speaking from personal experience, (PZ with 32HP Briggs, yeah, I know, they don't come with Briggs... ) I had to add a starter relay to activate the solenoid. From the factory, they don't use a relay to power the solenoid. That signal is run through several safety switches none of which are rated to carry the amperage the solenoid requires. After a while, the cumulative voltage drop through all of the safety switches is enough to keep the solenoid from working properly.

Measure the voltage at the small terminal on the starter when you try to start it. If it's low, correct the problem or consider adding a relay.

Q