Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
You can't go 3 weeks without sharpening as you noticed the blades will be pretty beat up and take a lot of time to get back into shape and you'll be removing too much material so you won't get as many sharpenings out of them.

The more often you sharpen the longer the blades will last. I change out my blades on each mower every other day which is roughly 8 hours on the blades any more than that and they tend to take longer to sharpen. I have at least 5 sets of blades for each mower so I only to sharpen blades once a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Every two weeks? I sharpen mine every day, used to carry a spare sharp set too. Sharp blades will allow you to cut faster and use less fuel in the process. Get some kind of grinder with ruby wheels. Maybe a minute per edge. The concave grind may stay sharp longer. The grass will look better, less brown on the cut edge. The blades will only weaken if seriously over heated. Even then they would only dull faster. After three weeks w/o sharpening the trailing edge is probably sharper than the leading edge.

I need a like button for this.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I'll just show him this thread.

With all this rain it was really noticeable yesterday. Tall, thick grass and the leftover clippings to match it.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Every two weeks? I sharpen mine every day, used to carry a spare sharp set too. Sharp blades will allow you to cut faster and use less fuel in the process. Get some kind of grinder with ruby wheels. Maybe a minute per edge. The concave grind may stay sharp longer. The grass will look better, less brown on the cut edge. The blades will only weaken if seriously over heated. Even then they would only dull faster. After three weeks w/o sharpening the trailing edge is probably sharper than the leading edge.
Can someone explain the bold part? When metal gets hot and cools, it becomes harder and brittle (alot more to it than thi, but I digress). That's why on excavator buckets and dozer blades you will see the lines of weld on them. Its called hard facing and resists wear because the weld metal is harder than the base metal (mild steel MIG filler is usually 140,000psi). I took a chunk out of one of my blades. I built it up with the welder and ground it back down. Balanced it and ran it and have not yet seen a difference from one blade to the next.

I know heating heat treated aluminum (6061-T6 is very common) or welding on it will make it soft by "resetting" the heat treatment to a T-0. This is why when welding aluminum fixtures, it common to complete the welds then heat treat.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes i sharpen every 2 weeks. i'm solo and average mowing hrs on the ztr each day is about 3-4hrs. some days it's only 1-2 hrs. i only work 4 days a week.

i could probably sharpen them every week but i get lazy.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of like, why wash your underwear, just buy new ones.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I sharpen blades everyday. Usually keep about 5-6 sets ready so they can be changed out every morning. We do most of our cutting at 2.5 inches so a set of blades only lasts around 3 sharpenings befor it's time to do away with them because they start to get the "bow" bad. I wish I could only sharpen blades ones every couple weeks just not able to could save me a lot of money.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even brand new blades need to be sharpened to remove the powder coat they come with. I have a Magna-Matic I use to sharpen our blades every day, has been well worth the investment.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen every other day whether they need it or not as you do not know what you'll run into the next day. I carry one extra blade for each mower also. I use a belt sander with 120 grit, it hardly removes any metal unless necessary and leaves them razor sharp.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
I sharpen every other day whether they need it or not as you do not know what you'll run into the next day. I carry one extra blade for each mower also. I use a belt sander with 120 grit, it hardly removes any metal unless necessary and leaves them razor sharp.
I assume you noticed that new blades don't come "razor sharp". Not even fancy aftermarket blades. If you just blunt about 1/64" across the edge (as they typically come) they will stay "sharp" much longer. That "razors edge" typically lasts about 2 minutes before it begins to get ragged.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One nice thing about a belt versus grinder is that they do stay sharper longer and before I will use a brand new blade I sharpen those also. Blade last much longer also