Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
daily is overkill for a solo operation. weekly is the most i would do them. after a week they are still in pretty good shape. if i go 2 weeks they start getting pretty dull but they still cut fine.

heck back when i only mowed my own yard i never sharpened blades the whole season. i just put a set on and mowed all season before i checked them again. never had an issue of the blades not cutting the grass good.

i live in the south so we mow the grass shorter. the grass cuts easier when you mow shorter since the blade is stiffer the closer to the ground you get.
think about it though, if you sharpen your blades for your "home" mower once per season, how many times do you cut???About 30 right? how many lawns does your business cut per day??? i do near 15 on some days, so thats roughly half a season on a "home" mower per day!!!! hell, i change mine sometimes halfway through the day if its wet!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6 View Post
think about it though, if you sharpen your blades for your "home" mower once per season, how many times do you cut???About 30 right? how many lawns does your business cut per day??? i do near 15 on some days, so thats roughly half a season on a "home" mower per day!!!! hell, i change mine sometimes halfway through the day if its wet!
i only do 3-5 yards a day. they range from 1/4-2 1/2 acres in size.

i'm not saying my blades were in perfect shape when i mowed my own lawn. they weren't. i never had any issues though. they cut fine even when dull. of course on a homeowner mower you aren't going 8-10mph when mowing either. you are only going about 5mph. also when i did my own lawn i only mowed it every 2 weeks. so about 15 cuts a year.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You made my day How hours of the day you cut? Should say how many hrs you put on a mower per day??????
Mowing grass is like a Barber Shaving, You wouldn't like it if the Barber only sharpen his razor once a week would you?
that's what i was talking about. hrs on the mower each day. the rest of the day i'm driving, edging, trimming, blowing, etc.

i'm a solo operation.