The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
For each piece of equipment you own do the following:

Aquisition cost+Maintenance cost+Running Cost/Billable Hours

tack on your profit margin. This is where you can be more or less competitive based on customer demographic.
This is Juicy man.Thank you.... +1 rep for you
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomLINEGuyNY View Post
i love it... why dont i tell her to fire the schmuck kids,and

"i'll take care of your lawn next week for free, when you see my work,then we''ll talk price, how that sound"

Yeah?

As you have said yourself- you offer value. What value do you know of that can be obtained for free.

Cheap customers are the most savvy as they always look for a way to get the next LCO to drop their price and work the market into the ground. You are not doing yourself or any reputable lawn comapny any favors by doing this.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Thanks that's all useful stuff. I tried some smaller stuff recently like when going over the project in their yard say "when we do the project, blah bla" instead of "if we do the job etc".
I'll put it to work this week if it ever stops raining long enough for the phone to ring.

What's you're timeline for a follow up call ? Do you set a date to follow up at the initial meet or just call a week later regardless?
This i dont have your answer for,for lawn care im too new... my guess? 2-4 days..

Keep Top of mind! Send an email in between follow up calls,(nothing deep-just light fluff)

But that sales cycle i mentioned before? Thats not MY secret to sales...That has been used for decades by the pros.And that is unanimously sales 101...You can ask around...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

As you have said yourself- you offer value. What value do you know of that can be obtained for free.

Cheap customers are the most savvy as they always look for a way to get the next LCO to drop their price and work the market into the ground. You are not doing yourself or any reputable lawn comapny any favors by doing this.
When i was talking about value,i was specifically talking about anyone closing a deal..a telemarketer, a car salesman, a landscaper...

If you could expand upon why this is destructive to me and the market please convince me..

It actually intrigues me,your stand firm against this...why?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
When i was talking aout value,i was specifically talking about anyone closing a deal..

If you could expand upon why this is destructive to me and the market please convince me
Once you crunch your numbers you will find out what it is actually costing you to go to work for this person. Businesses exist to make profit. If profit isn't earned business fails.

If you work for this person at or below your cost you are establishing a new low price and become what is known as a lowballer. That my friend is not the reputation you want.

So now you start working at this lowball price and savvy cheapo dumps you because the next newbie shows up with an even lower price. It is a downward spiral.

Physically talk with any industry professional in your area about this concept if I didn't do a good enough job of explaining this.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

And let me clarify one thing here:

Promotional deals I offer at my cost. So this is something that is useful to do TEMPORARILY.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Physically talk with any industry professional in your area about this concept if I didn't do a good enough job of explaining this.
i would agree,that any lawn care pro,in my area,would not advise me to lowball price...

I know your in NY ,i guess i wonder if you are a lawn care pro in MY area hehe
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
i would agree,that any lawn care pro,in my area,would not advise me to lowball price...

I know your in NY ,i guess i wonder if you are a lawn care pro in MY area hehe
Ulster County

There are no secrets in this business. You are either profitable or not. You exist or you don't.
I would like to save you some headache as I can relate to the responsibility of having a family to support; I guess this is why I sound adamant when I reply.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

@ toasted

i understand.And I appreciate your replys too..
Old 05-29-2013, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Member

so check out this email this lady sent me! she doesnt want me to work for free (i offered one free mow) but just wants to name her price... wtf

Hello J and thank you for your e-mail.
Also, I would like to thank you for your kind offer.I really appreciate it very much,but I don't want you to work for free(only real estate agents do this).
Yes, I know Jay and Lisa very well----they are my wonderful friends.
As I mentioned to you on the phone,I am looking for someone who will do the job between $20-21(tax included). If you are still interested,please let me know,but if not, it's okay with me.
Thank you again.Good night or good morning--its' 12:36 am.I better go to bed before I make more mistakes.
Maria

Tags
jobs , new business , roi