Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Advantages of a backpack blower?

Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade from my craftsman handheld blower to a backpack blower for my neighborhood business. What are the advantages of a backpack blower. I'm looking into the Stihl Br-600
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade from my craftsman handheld blower to a backpack blower for my neighborhood business. What are the advantages of a backpack blower. I'm looking into the Stihl Br-600
Posted via Mobile Device
They are super fast I just got a redmax 8500 yesterday (which my dealer sells both stihl and redmax and refused to sell me a stihl blower) and did a leaf job which took me 15 minutes to blow with my stihl kombi system blower and with my redmax it took 5 minutes! I would defiantly upgrade to a backpack blower but get a redmax hands down the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advantages of a backpack blower?

Stihl. Lighter and way more fuel efficient magnum 600.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
If you buy a top tier BP like the BR600 or RM 8500, you won't believe the difference between them and what you are using now. It's way more than night and day. The BP's are so fast for leaves compared to a hand held, and for lots of clippings etc they save you a ton of time. Plus, your arm doesn't tire out holding a hand held blower out to your side. I've owned a bunch of BP's and still have a Stihl SH85 hand held for certain apps. I've used that SH85 a ton over the years, but once I bought a BP, it started sitting more and more.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a hand held echo PB 200. Given to me runs great. Starts easy.

This spring I bought a BR 600. Starts super easy. Works great on the clean ups that I did. I have been using it more on my lawn route so far because of all the extra debri from inital edging and tree blossom mess. Get peoples deck, patios, drives, walks done fast.

You will never regret getting a BP blower. Unless you go cheap and buy low end.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Advantages: Everything

Disadvantages: You will wonder why you never had one before.

BR600 is good and very popular, but do know, the valves will have to be adjusted over the life of the unit due to the way it is made. Adjustments are based upon how much use it gets. If you are a mechnic kind of person and feel OK tearing into your motor, you can do it yourself. If not, it will need to go to the shop to do it.

I did not want to mess with it, so I looked at the Echo 770 & Husqvarna 570 BTS. Went with the Husqy as I wanted the most power I could get for my personal use for fall cleanup. The 2 Husqy units (570 & 580) will out blow anything else made.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Just watch out for the BP's that are really just handhold units made into bp. They are not the same. I have a br600 and love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what you need it for.

If you are ONLY blowing off a few clippings from a sidewalk, it's mostly overkill.
A hand held will do the job, not take up room in the truck/trailer, and be easier to handle overall.

That said, there are a bunch of things you can do with a backpack that can not be done with a hand held. I ran my first season with a hand held only. I didn't do any leaf jobs that year though. I hate lugging around my backpack, but when I need it, I'm glad I have it. Having the right tool for the job is the biggest advantage.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

like brules said I multiply by about a million :

Advantages: Everything

Disadvantages: You will wonder why you never had one before

its all about the power . it gigantically speeds up clean up

and you can really dust off all kinds of areas around home like patios n porches that you don't even get grass on . and blow off cob webs from under porch awnings or up in garage door corners . can blow stuff in street into a pile to then quickly sweep up keeping street clean . the extra stuff you can do with a powerful blower shall make your customers very happy . just get that blower on and think ' what would I dust off if this were my home ' . don't forget to blow dust off parked cars

weve ran redmax blowers 15 years , the entire time the 7001 model and its a MASTER PEICE = powerful / rugged / maintenance free . got the big 8005 one 2 years ago and I have to admit I love the big power , it really rocks and makes heavy blows like wet leaves or a lot of wet grass WAY easier . plus blowing thatch outta turf , it really blasts it out of there . but the bigger tube compared to the 7001 I don't like because its more difficult to hold onto . but im used to it I guess now and run the 8005 everyday over the 7001 because I can do a lot more plus faster with it . and I only have average size hands , persons with larger hands wouldn't mind larger size at all . yes it comes with side handle attatchment but I hate those and remove

anyway get a backie YOU WONT REGRET IT + GET A REDMAX YOU WONT REGRET IT . but if do keep it secure on job sites because theyre easy targets for thieves
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

also . its a tough call on the 7000 series vs the 8000 series in the sense that the 7000 has a lot of power ands lighter than the 8000 series . so the 7000 takes less energy to utilize all day and in 75% of cases youll be just as content as would be with 8000 . bottom line is the 7000 even though less powerful than 8000 is still bad ass . so ide prob buy the 7000 with outlook that i'll keep buying all 7000s down the road and the old ones become parts for the newer ones . as opposed to buying a series of 8000 which make the work day take a bit more energy handling