Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
old 89 would be fine with me. I just don't want to buy a truck for 25k and then shortly put 10k into it and still have a 25k worth truck. Id rather spend 45. Of course theres still the risk of something going bad on a 45k truck too because its by no means new. That's what Ive been looking for is the 20-44 or 46 combo with or without a lift. As long as it can haul 20t I would like a basic tandem. Since you are in upstate too, can you tell me what your insurance is on your tri?

Thanks,
Dave
The year is not important on class 8 trucks. Older can be better, how it was taken care of is. No matter what you buy you will need brakes, tires, and other fix up items. The price point you are looking at will put you into a truck that is ready for some maintenance money. I put $5000 into both trucks as soon as I bought them regardless. Thats why they were not $75k to $100k.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks, my age actually doesn't affect my policy because its a business policy. trucks reg under DBA.

This truck is very local to me but I think its overpriced. They have had it listed long enough where they may deal but they would have to deal a lot.http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=3784663
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This truck is very local to me but I think its overpriced. They have had it listed long enough where they may deal but they would have to deal a lot.http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=3784663
That's a sweet lookin' truck. It would be a big ask for them to come off $15,000 though. There's no shortage of mid to late 90's 379 Pete's for $25-$30,000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It seems high to me. When I look at listings all over the country I see a lot like it with half the miles for that kind of price.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
It seems high to me. When I look at listings all over the country I see a lot like it with half the miles for that kind of price.
The price didn't seem too out of line to me, but I'm by no means an expert on the class 8 trucks and their values. I pretty much go by Truck-Paper and CTT listings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't really post up here much anymore but this seems to be right up my ally. I've owned quite a few tri-axles and larger trucks and personally if I were you I would make sure that you have the work to support it before you buy one. With my tri-axles if I don't have them on the road at least half the working days in the year they are of no asset to the company. Many larger companies hire out their trucks because really it is cheaper many times then owning your own if you do not plan on running every day. With that said I would not but a Volvo like that either. I own a 96 autocar and a 97 Volvo/autocar and from the regular Volvo's that I have driven now the quality is not their for a triaxle. great for over the road trucks but not for the abuse that a triaxle takes.
I have owned Macks, internationals and my autocars and for a heavier truck I Would stay with mack or autocar at this point. Both can be had for a very reasonable price and are extremely reliable. Until last year I had a 1969 Mack R600 6 wheeler with a 5 speed and a 237 mack motor. It was a hell of a truck to drive but it started every day and I couldn't break it. The older macks are great trucks and can be found pretty easily and parts are easy to find. I will be the first to tell you that they are not pleasurable to drive but there a great work truck.
I also like the 90's model autocars because of there efficiency. I bought both of mine with Detroit's, one has an 18 speed and the other a 8LL. There both very reliable for trucks of their age and I have done very little work to them. The Detroit's I have found are the best on fuel, some might say that that's pointless with the amount you burn but when I pull up to the fuel pump at the end of the day and burn 20 less gallons then the other guys I've been running with, it makes a big difference after a week never mind a year.
Best thing to do when buying a truck is to go through the whole thing and even pay to take it to a reputable mechanic. I prefer to buy from a trucking company or a larger excavation company as their service records will usually be the best. The other thing to consider is a 10 wheeler. Lot of guys say their a waste but you can still haul a decent amount and the registration, insurance and everything else involved go way down. So does the cost of purchase. And for just starting out that might be the best way to go.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for chiming in. I actually just sold my international 4400. It was not useful enough for me at all. It was sitting and I was calling the guys with tri axles. I work a pretty big 30 mile radius which makes both hauling and calling upon other guys to haul for me a pain. I guess what it boils down to is my jobs are too small to sub much. Im not hiring for a day at a time. Its an hour or two. There's a lot of planning involved. Landscaping Jobs where Id like to have a truck on site, slowly loading it up/digging out of it etc, would not be worth doing if paying a truck. I don't want to lose money owning a truck but Im not worried about it making money itself. Just want to get the stuff I need to and from jobs easily. Id be more inclined to do some site work and such if I had a truck too. Also Im buying property soon that I'll be able to put a truck to use with too.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

odd question....but about how tall are these trucks? do you ever run into problems with telephone wires?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

There usually about 12 feet. Only time I've ever had trouble was in driveways a couple times. 4 seasons what do you have for equipment that you would use to load a tri axle. I ask because depending what you have will limit your options. For me my kx121 and bobcat will load one of my trucks but not the other due to the body.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a KX 161 which should barely get by with a big truck. But my skid steer wont cut it. Its a Taki TL 120. I love it but have thought about eventually trading to a walk behind and a big 80-90 hp one. But IDK Id hate to see the Taki go. And I don't use skids that much anyway. My ex gets used 5 times more.