Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I was jumping to that size truck (which I see myself doing in the next 5 years so these discussions are very helpful) I think I would insist on a roll off or hook lift. I know they are more expensive but they are so easy to work out of and into than a straight triaxle. Even if you have no plans of renting bins or hauling for others. How hard is it to load 3 skids of brick into a triaxle? What if you have a yard of topsoil left over on a job, the skid steer is moved onto the next job and you need to load it by hand?

I know you have the 5500 but in operations our size you use whatever truck you're in for the day. You're not going 30 miles back to get a skid or the smaller truck.

I work as a sub for a concrete and masonry company just doing rip out and demo with my bobcat. They drop a 20 yard container on every job and leave it there until they're done. I thought it was stupid since they own dumps but they throw everything in there. Concrete wood dirt grass etc. pay 650 for the can, throw all the pallets and brick scraps in there and they're on their way. It saves you from having to make trips to empty the truck since you need it to haul other stuff etc. you can have 2 or 3 cans and be miles ahead of other contractors. Tons of guys on the island are starting to do this
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

When you are looking try to find a truck with a swing gate. It's a little thing that will make a huge difference especially with your size equipment, and in general are a really nice option. And although roll offs are nice you loose some things also from what I understand you loose some things such as size a tri axle will usually be shorter meaning more access. Plus with most tool offs u loose the option of towing a tag trailer from the ones I've seen around me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Main thing with roll of would be price. They are at least 25k higher, probably more. Towing would be a biggie too. Otherwise it would definitely be nice to have. A swing gate is something I have had in mind too. It would probably limit my options enough where it would be easier to just have it done to a regular gate.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup just remember it has to be a verticals gate not a angle one for a useable swing gate. You won't be able to open the gate very well otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My other truck has a swing gate which is great for dumping big loads and stumps etc. just keep the big swing in mind when working on residential jobs. I always park and go to open it only to hit a tree/fence/street sign. Very annoying and makes me miss my barn doors.

I like this truck but its a little short

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/3822667274.html
Single axle but nice rig
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/3822965725.html

What's your budget look like? Didn't see it
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

A heavy spec single axle roll off is exactly what I am looking at.

Those are nice trucks RJ, the international I have seen maybe 10-15 for sale, some municipality had a TON of them I guess. The pete looks like a good deal, nice find for someone. Think it includes the cans?

Would love a roll off, now to see if we can justify the price come fall.

We have had big tall sided tandems and tri axles in the past, they don't work for us. Huge amounts of hauling we have subbed in/out. In the landscape world a truck where the sides don't come off or you cant load materials into it (pallets, trees, slab steps, etc) aren't a lot of use.

Maybe some day if we grew some more.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

30-50k I prefer an automatic too. Any reason not to?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

towing a kx161? no reason an automatic is bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was in the same boat as you looking for a bigger dump for snow hauling and dirt hauling in the summer passed for now because hored truck are much cheaper than what it would cost me to own one.

As for the original truck, I have been to Caldonia Diesel, many times, my uncle lives a mile down the road and here is my impression, they are beat and overpriced because they primarily sell to other countries where bigger trucks are bigger money than here. They have a lot of trucks there, not too many are in good shape.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

For the equipment you have now an automatic would be fine. I personally would never get one however as you are losing control of the vehicle. When you get 78000 on a truck you can tell a huge difference in stopping and starting out. There has been plenty of times a standard has saved me from accidents as you will find the bigger the truck the more you get cut off. I tow my 20 ton tag atleast 3 times a week and weather I have my mini on there or my 160 I am always happy to have a standard in the hills. Plus you can get away with less power with a standard I think. My first tri axle had a 350 cummins with an 8LL and to tell you the truth it was no race winner but even fully loaded it pulled just fine
Posted via Mobile Device