Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Gotta mow a lot of grass to pay for a tranny!

So in my second yr getting a decent amount of work and things are going good. Friday got done with my work for the day and was looking forward to having a beer and firing up the weber while I did the work I have been neglecting in my own yard and all of a sudden BANG. There went my tranny. I bought this truck in Feb to upgrade from the rust bucket I had and have put less than 4k on it. Time to change the business plan again.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't feel bad i had a year about 6-7 yrs ago I had just bought a misto cab over,I used it 3 times and the clutch and tranny went out. I got it back, used it about 2 months and motor blew. Got that fixed and about month later clutch fan and starter when up. All this was going on while my 01 powerstroke(80k miles) had the tranny and converter go,then all the brakes, then rear blew.We towed 4 ztr on a 22foot trailer with a ext cab 1/2 ton for about 2 months with 5 ppl working out of it it was crazy. It just about put me out of bussiness, good thing i had good friends and good credit because if it were not for a borrowed truck and a big loan i would be workin a 8-5 right now.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just fixed my trans in my truck. What held me up was trying to find a part. I called everywhere from my state to Australia, no one had one. Seriously, I was about to buy a whole new trans when I finally found the part. The part was only 25.00 verse 4000.00 for a whole new one. It took over a week to find the part and now I'm trying to play catch up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got my Ford tranny repaired two yrs ago, $2,650. I'm in the wrong business!
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing ever breakes in the winter.

One thing I do everyother winter is flush out the trans, that wont help yall fellers with gear boxes.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill never buy another automatic work truck again. Only manuals for the work trucks for me. I want to sale my cab over and get a manual. I think they are way more reliable and I like the fact that I can control the rpm's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Ill never buy another automatic work truck again. Only manuals for the work trucks for me. I want to sale my cab over and get a manual. I think they are way more reliable and I like the fact that I can control the rpm's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its a personal preference. I can get a replacement tranny for my chevy box for less than 1500$ should I ever need it. So for me a automatic makes sense.

I had to buy a gear cruncher for my vette, the trans is discontunied and no parts are available from GM, it cost over 4k, that's a lot of a second gear, gear clash.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

your right it's personal preference. My father has been a mechanic for gm for the past 35 years and it makes since for me to get 5 speeds only because I can get parts to replace them cheap. Usually it's only clutches and flywheels that wear. Automatics are a whole different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I said years ago that I would never have another manual transmission and I haven't.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
your right it's personal preference. My father has been a mechanic for gm for the past 35 years and it makes since for me to get 5 speeds only because I can get parts to replace them cheap. Usually it's only clutches and flywheels that wear. Automatics are a whole different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
For a ZF transmission the brass rings are only sold by the set and are over 800$, GM doesn't sell any parts for the transmission anymore. Second gear and sleve are sold as a set and are over 1200$, bearings are 1800$.